• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing 0331 head swap, what else should I do while in there?

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've got a 2001 cherokee sport with 72,000 miles on it. Coolant had a muddy look to it, and the reservoir was empty, so I assumed the head crack. However, the the top end and crank case oil showed no signs of coolant entry.

So as a precaution, I decided to go ahead with the replacement head from either alabama (Promaxx now I think) or clearwater cylinder head. I'm just wondering, while I"m in there doing the head swap, what else would you guys recommend that I service/replace, just to be proactive. I am going to be using this for long distance trips so I want to make sure that I'm hitting all of the maintenance items while it's apart.

Cooling system was one of the first things that I did. New radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing, all new hoses, etc...

Anything internal such as lifters/pushrods/rockers? Or could they go back in? I don't suspect any bent rods/or collapsed lifters, it ran fine when I started taking it apart.

Thanks!

It's best to replace lifters with the cam, so I skip that unless they where making noise or damaged. Check all the pushrods for straightness and correct length. Not much else in there, I assume the new head has new valve springs and seals? Also, I would replace head studs or bolts. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks and replace it if any found. My personal opinion is use felpro gaskets only, I've had the best luck with them.

Hey guys, I've got a 2001 cherokee sport with 72,000 miles on it. Coolant had a muddy look to it, and the reservoir was empty, so I assumed the head crack. However, the the top end and crank case oil showed no signs of coolant entry.

So I'll a precaution, I decided to go ahead with the replacement head from either alabama (Promaxx now I think) or clearwater cylinder head, just to be proactive.
Wow!
Changing the head because the coolant needs flushing and is low.
The head may be perfectly fine. It would be a lot of wasted time and money if you find your head is OK.

You said there was no signs of leakage in either the crankcase or in the valve cover. Are there any other indicators of a cracked head?

Just because it has a 0331 head, doesn't mean that it is cracked, there are plenty of high mileage 0331s, mine included.
Only some of the heads were mis-cast.
Tiny coolant leaks may not be noticed, a radiator pressure test helps in finding this type of leak.

Consider starting by giving the cooling system a good cleaning and refill.
The watch the coolant level and oil, looking for positive indications of leakage before proceeding.

An inexpensive oil analysis would also provide a definitive answer.

Back