• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit on a budget

Zachxj96

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of 5 30x9.50s for my 96 xj and was planning on doing a 3inch lift so I didn't have to worry about rubbing issues but I'm not sure what is better, an add-a-leaf or shackles I know I'm paying for what I get but it's only temporary until I can get the leaf springs I want. I know there is a bastered pack but most junk yards where I'm located are a little over priced.

Neither, really. Chances are, your leaf pack is flat, if not inverted already. If so, Either will make it worse. 30's should fit fine. Save your money for a full leaf pack, or find some used from your local craigstlist, naxja member, etc. and make a bastard pack.

If they're in good shape abdication have a curve, try here and craigslist and try and find leaf packs out of a up country package xj and use those in junction with a shackle to give you a lift.

If the spring pack is not inverted into a U shape, an Add-A-Leaf or a bastard pack is great low cost solution. I ran one for 3-4 years on my 00 and it never sagged, even after a week in central Colorado on the 4x4 trails, and a week in Moab on the 4x4 trails. I just installed an AAL on my 99, using the original 200,000+ mile leaf springs. I have also built several XJ bastard packs for members of my local Jeep club.

Bastard packs are sort of an experiment. For about 2-3" inches of lift, I would try the main S-10 leaf with the spring eyes cut off.

An extra XJ main leaf with eyes cut off. And possibly another, leaf in the pack.

here's a junkyard lift on 30's
swapped the middle two leafs out of an S10
coils from a late 70s F150 if I recall correctly
It rides stiff like a truck but I like it. Ive had the entire rear of my jeep full of firewood rounds and it lowered it maybe and inch and a half.

My prior xj had OME 930 springs in front with an extra rubber isolator, the up country leafs in the rear with a jks shackle which gave me 2" lift front and rear. I ran 265-70R 15 General AT2's which were basically a 30x10.5 and never had any issues with rubbing other than hitting the front sway bar if I cranked the steering wheel too far. Point being I don't think you necessarily need 3" of lift for a 30x9.5 and it seems like getting to 3" lift is when vibs and other suspension geometry issues *may* happen. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

swap the front LCAs to WJ parts, enjoy stock suspension and really nice ride with no rubbing.
save money for future upgrades.

Back