• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New PS Pump - Sluggish?

Euology101

NAXJA Forum User
I know this sounds random, but my power steering pump died about 1000 miles ago. It took about 2 weeks for it to fully die, and during that time, I was gathering the parts to replace it.

I replaced the following
PS Pump
reservoir
High and Low Pressure hoses
Pulley

While the PS pump was failing, I felt like the jeep got more sluggish than usual. I sort of figured it had to do with the fact that the bearing in the PS was going, and that was probably making it hard for the belt to rotate, and therefore needed more gas to get up and go. I'm only guessing here, and I could be way off base.

I figured once I had the new one installed, this would hopefully go away, well 1000 miles after new PS and it still feels more sluggish than usual. The steering feels a bit odd, but I'm going to assume this is just because I had a PS pump that was on its way out, and maybe I just got used to the way it drove with that. (i've bled the system like a mad man, and I see no bubbles, or loss of fluid at any given time)

I also noticed that vibrations are a bit more than usual. Granted I have Brown Dog MM's installed, so I expect a bit of vibrations, but this is more than usual.

Quick background on the Vibrations: I have an AA SYE, and a fully rebuilt and balanced (front driveshaft) installed on the rear. Currently no front driveshaft, as I'm having it rebuilt and balanced, as well. The Brown Dogs have about 10k miles on them at this point, and for first few weeks they were rough at idle, but barely noticeable at speed. Now, I find that most of the vibs are at speed, under load, up until about 70, where they just disappear, and I feel like I'm floating on clouds.

Front end needs a LOT of work, I'm almost positive I'm out of alignment (4" of lift on original steering), front tires are feathered at the outter edges, I know I have a lot going on, just trying to start tracking things down.

I am replacing all of the bushings on the rear suspension, along with new shackles, and shackle relocation brackets, then I'll start on front end fun.

Any thoughts on the loss of power/vibrations? I also have shitty MPG, anywhere from 13-16MPG. I log it every filly up, and other than road trips where I'm all highway, I've never gotten above 16mpg. (31's, 3.55, loaded down with bumpers and roof racks)

May not be an absolute requirement for diagnosis, but year? Drive train?

Your Mpg seems about correct for the higher end, i.e., 16 mpg with 31's, heavier after-market bumpers, roof racks, etc., even though 3.55 gears seem to be a bit more on the 'grunt' side diminishing mpg down from lighter stock tires, etc.

Thant's all I've got.

May not be an absolute requirement for diagnosis, but year? Drive train?

Your Mpg seems about correct for the higher end, i.e., 16 mpg with 31's, heavier after-market bumpers, roof racks, etc., even though 3.55 gears seem to be a bit more on the 'grunt' side diminishing mpg down from lighter stock tires, etc.

Thant's all I've got.

My bad, always forget to list the vehicle:

1999, 4.0, AW4. Stock 30 front, and 8.25 rear, running 3.55 gears. All new fluids throughout, within the last 6-8k aside from the Transmission, which was flushed about 20k miles ago.

New DynoMax cat back, with less than 4k miles on it. vehicle came with a JetChip, which I've removed for a couple months, but saw no significant change one way or another. Also has a K&N "Cold" air intake installed, 784 injectors (though I think I have a leaky injector, as I have to do 2-3 primes for a quick turn over). New headers, and running Rotella 15w-40. The PO installed new cap, wires, and plugs right before I picked it up, and it has about 145k on the clock.

Why diesel oil with only 145k? That could be killing your mileage

This is actually the first oil change i've tried the diesel oil. I honestly have no idea what oil was used up until I purchased it, about 9,000 miles ago. So my first oil change was just some M1 synthetic or blend, I can't even remember. Then I figured I'd give Rotella a shot since everyone seems to like it. I'm about 3k in on the Rotella, and the previous M1, or previous oil prior to that, wasn't netting me any better MPG.

I should also include that I do live in NYC, and I put about 60 miles a day on the jeep. about 10 of those miles are normal back roads, and 50 of them are highway. Out of the 50, I'd say about 20 of them end up being in stop and go traffic most days. I know these jeeps are not known for being beasts, but it just feels more sluggish than it did even just a month ago.

Is there any possibility to over tightening a belt creating drag on the system? or possibly a bad harmonic balancer? (creating vibes and slowing down the system) I should also mention that I often feel that when I let off the gas, there is a significant amount of "engine braking" If i'm up around 22-2500k RPM, and I let off the gas, it will drop to 1k instantly, and bounce up to like 1500, then slowly drop back down.

Last edited:
My xj's mileage sucks in town. Im right around the same as yours. I still get 18-20 on the highway. its going to be worse with bigger tires and stock gearing. You might check the brake switch function for the TC lock/unlock.

My xj's mileage sucks in town. Im right around the same as yours. I still get 18-20 on the highway. its going to be worse with bigger tires and stock gearing. You might check the brake switch function for the TC lock/unlock.

Did a quick search and found out what this is, I'll have to check into this, and report back.

New York winter fuel blend could be your culprit

Maybe a fuel additive would benefit me? Anything worth trying? Or should I be aiming for higher octane? I've ran premium a couple of times, but not back to back, to see if it would make any difference.

Trust me, I'd give my left Test____ to not live in NY. (planning my escape route to SoCal, as we speak)

Back