• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan, replace or patch up

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I'm prepping my 01 XJ for winter, removing rust from anywhere I find it & applying POR15 to end it for good.
My question is about the oil pan, it has a few bad rust spots, no where is oil leaking through but a few spots seem thin after removing the flaking rust, should I spread some JB weld over the spots in question, prep/paint with the POR 15 & be done with it or should I replace the pan?
Do all pans for the Jeep 4.0 Fit?
If I replace the pan should I use an aftermarket pan or OEM ?
EBAY Is full of pans, some have an "oil sensor hole", can I plug it?
Thanks for answers in advance.

If you try to patch the old pan, those this spots will always be in the back of your mind.

Find a good used OEM pan, the aftermarket pans fit poorly.
I bought a Dorman pan that needed half of the mounting holes filed to fit.
It would be a good time to change the RMS.

Find a good used OEM pan, the aftermarket pans fit poorly.
I bought a Dorman pan that needed half of the mounting holes filed to fit.
It would be a good time to change the RMS.

^^This^^

if those spots eventually start to leak, your JB weld patch will fall right off.

the oil creeps under it and then it loses adhesion. BTDT.

replace the pan, and yes, great time to do the RMS.

if those spots eventually start to leak, your JB weld patch will fall right off.

the oil creeps under it and then it loses adhesion. BTDT.

replace the pan, and yes, great time to do the RMS.

I already picked up a good quality used pan, my RMS is good with no leaks, funny thing is before I replaced the RMS the underside of the jeep was covered in oil but I had no rust anywhere!
I think next time I'll leave it leaking, rust is a bitch!

I need to replace my oil pan gasket.

But dropping the oil pan on these is too much of a PITA. And I'll be deeply saddened by what I find in the oil pan. So, for now, it leaks.

I need to replace my oil pan gasket.

But dropping the oil pan on these is too much of a PITA. And I'll be deeply saddened by what I find in the oil pan. So, for now, it leaks.

After 140K I was shockingly surprised by what I found in my oil pan, The Pan & Engine were SPOTLESS, Brand New Looking, Using Synthetic oil & good filters really makes a difference.
Now for the real Surprise. There was a Hydraulic Lifter in the bottom of the Pan, It must have been dropped there during assembly @ the Factory, Good old American Quality Control, Chrysler included an extra lifter in case I needed one :dunce: Free of charge!!

I'm about to replace the pan, I haven't done this is over 10 years & I forget, Do I need to use any RTV, I have the nice blue felpro gasket.
Thanks
Frank

I'm about to replace the pan, I haven't done this is over 10 years & I forget, Do I need to use any RTV, I have the nice blue felpro gasket.
Thanks
Frank

With the felpro you do not want to use any RTV. or gasket helper. If it is a 2 piece or 4piece, then you want a pea-sized spot on the connections between the pieces, to fill the 90 degree corners, and nothing else.

This was how I did my 2piece, and it has been leak free.

Damn, I remember when I started working on mine... I started cleaning it up for paint, and it literally stated to "bleed" oil. Granted, mine is an 88 but I took the opportunity to change the motor mounts and the oil pump (not that it needed a pump). Got a pan from autozone, and haven't had an issue since.

go buy the relevant "oil pan snapups" at the parts store.

trust me, I just saved you 30 minutes of cursing.

"Alignment pins" work too, you can use the stock bolts and just cut the heads off.

Also, pretty sure the felpro instructions call for dabs of RTV at the corners... only downside is that it can tear your nice blue gasket on dissasembly if your not carefull.

After 140K I was shockingly surprised by what I found in my oil pan, The Pan & Engine were SPOTLESS, Brand New Looking, Using Synthetic oil & good filters really makes a difference.
Now for the real Surprise. There was a Hydraulic Lifter in the bottom of the Pan, It must have been dropped there during assembly @ the Factory, Good old American Quality Control, Chrysler included an extra lifter in case I needed one :dunce: Free of charge!!

Chunks of aluminum came out last oil change ...

Back