• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SEAFOAM ?????

pezman65

NAXJA Forum User
Hi jeepers,trying to get your opinion. I recently had a rear seal leak on my 03 ranger and someone recommended SEAFOAM in the crankcase. I added half a can and I noticed the leak slowed down.Realizing this is not a permanent fix,I also noticed that my gas mileage improved noticeably! So my question is can I run SEAFOAM in the crankcase for my 91 XJ limited? I run Mobile 1 high milage 10-30 with zinc additive. My oil pressure runs at 60 pretty much all the time . also I use a wix filter which I attribute to my oil pressure .And that leads to another question, is a wix and Napa filter the same?Whew!!! long winded,sorry.Any opinion appreciated!

If you use good quality oil and change it at the recommended intervals, there is no reason to put SeaFoam in the oil. Please do explain how SeaFoam in the oil increases gas mpg's ?

Napa Gold filters are made by Wix. Usually more accessible and less expensive. Seafoam is good for many things, but is solvent-based so not really recommended to run it through your oil change interval. I use it once or twice a year before oil changes. Time frame between a few hundred miles and a quick trip down the road before oil change time.
If you want to run something with your oil, I recommend MMO. Since most stores only have 5qt jugs or 5 qts of oil on special. The MMO is an inexpensive way to add the 6th.
I typically use Berryman's B-12 been around just as long as Seafoam, is less expensive. B-12, Seafoam, and MMO can also be used in your fuel tank as well.
B-12 and Seafoam can be used in your intake, through the vac booster hose. Instructions are on the cans.
I keep a bottle of MMO in all my vehicles, it can be used in engine, trans,-tcase, diff, etc.

Seafoam is solvent, following the product instructions should not harm your engine. There are less aggressive methods of keep the crank case clean. The best method is regular oil changes with a quality product. If you don't have a sludge problem, you are already doing enough with the oil changes.

Tim, gummed up piston rings will allow compression blow-by. If running a solvent or high-detergent additive, frees them up, the resulting increase in compression should help make power, improving economy.

If you use good quality oil and change it at the recommended intervals, there is no reason to put SeaFoam in the oil. Please do explain how SeaFoam in the oil increases gas mpg's ?
I don't know why that's why I posted the thread but I did notice my gas mileage went up on my ranger that's all I'm saying!

Napa Gold filters are made by Wix. Usually more accessible and less expensive. Seafoam is good for many things, but is solvent-based so not really recommended to run it through your oil change interval. I use it once or twice a year before oil changes. Time frame between a few hundred miles and a quick trip down the road before oil change time.
If you want to run something with your oil, I recommend MMO. Since most stores only have 5qt jugs or 5 qts of oil on special. The MMO is an inexpensive way to add the 6th.
I typically use Berryman's B-12 been around just as long as Seafoam, is less expensive. B-12, Seafoam, and MMO can also be used in your fuel tank as well.
B-12 and Seafoam can be used in your intake, through the vac booster hose. Instructions are on the cans.
I keep a bottle of MMO in all my vehicles, it can be used in engine, trans,-tcase, diff, etc.
I know this sounds like a noob question but what is MMO?

Marvel Mystery Oil.

I have used automatic transmission fluid to free sticky lifters and clean sludge on a need-to basis. By the time that engine was ready for an oil change, it was a quart low. I topped the crank case and drove up to a week with the added quart of ATF.

Back