• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bell housing "reverse torx" bolt size and length

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Okay, I lost my notes since I put my last motor in a year ago, and I can't find Jon Kelly's(5-90) website which has this listed. I have my motor ready to come out of my 94 but I want everything ready to put the new one in before I pull it.

Whats the size? Thread? Length?

Why don't we have a sticky with all of the bolt sizes? We use to......:huh:

And since I'm on a question roll, what happened to Jon's website?

Okay! I found it! For those that search; 3/8-16 X 2 1/4"!!!!!

I'm going with studs to ease alignment going back in then some flanged nuts.

I normally just cut the heads off old oem bolts, then grind them on 4 sides. Sorry i cant tell you the bolt size.

Pretty sure grade 5 would be fine.

Your local parts store should have a "Help" Section with packs of studs, in that size. Just use standard hex head bolts in place of the E-torx crap.

Would e-torx really be threaded in Inches rather than metric?

The bellhousing bolts are standard and NOT metric. So, yes.

You learn something new everyday, I thought all TORX head had metric threads. A quick search confirms: "The same series of Torx drivers is used to drive SAE, metric and other thread system fasteners, reducing the number of bit sizes required."

The 4.0 block is all standard, the tranny is all metric, the accessory drives are metric.

Jeep wanted us XJ owners to have to buy every tool available and use them all every time we have to work on it

Yeah I know the block and head are all standard, I spaced on it because I'd never heard of a standard torx or etorx.

Back