• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Didn't pass star smog

There testing it on a set of rollers?, running?.
I remember when they use to do that around here, now they just check the ecu.
Anyway, is that first sentence true?

It was tested on the machine that makes you wheels spin. Don't know what it's called don't know much about smoging

What do you mean the first sentence?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not the problem.
I've had issues w/ smog testing of past "vehicles" that have oversize tire's, I.E. 32's.
How many miles are on it?. Does it have a check engine light on?.

If its a '99 xj were talking about and there's no check engine light on, idk why it won't pass a emissions test.
I'm glad they just check code's around here.
Someone on here can probably interpret those result's for you.

Seems to be running a little rich. When was the last time you did an oil change/tune-up? When was the last time your upstream, o2 sensor was changed?
Consider running some acetone in your fuel tank. approx 1 oz for every gallon. I would do this, and fill up and use at least 1/4-1/3 tank and go back.

Agreed that a full tuneup is a good idea if it hasn't had one since the last smog check:

• Oil Change
  • Cap/Rotor/Wires
  • Spark Plugs
Additional, simple steps I would try:
  • Seafoam the intake thru the brake booster hose once or twice
  • 1/2 - 1 can of seafoam/injector cleaner in gas tank
  • Check vacuum hose from throttle body to MAP sensor on firewall

Slightly more advanced things to try:
  • Remove & thoroughly clean throttle body
  • Clean or replace Manifold Air Temp sensor
  • Replace O2 sensor(s) if original, test if newer

Those are all fairly simple things you can do yourself with basic tools. Be wary of the acetone trick; my understanding is that it can cause your NO levels to jump up in states that test for that such as yours. Does look like you're running rich, so I'd make sure all your sensors are good.

O2 is a common reason for running rich. The other could be air leaks. However, if you haven't had any major engine work done recently, I would start with the O2 sensors. They often "get lazy" with time/miles, read "lean" which causes the PCM to dump in extra fuel, and causes your engine to run rich. If you have "extra soot" on your tail pipe then its almost certain you're running rich, especially if you do a lot of highway driving. Both times I've been running rich its either an air leak or lazy O2. Never had a code on either my 97 or 01.

IIRC, late models have the MAP on the TB. Not like early models.
Also, as I said a little bit of Acetone goes a LONG way. Too much is bad. SOme good quality denatured alcohol will work. Or even that overpriced "Guaranteed to Pass" bottle of crap.
Agreed that a full tuneup is a good idea if it hasn't had one since the last smog check:

• Oil Change
  • Cap/Rotor/Wires
  • Spark Plugs
Additional, simple steps I would try:
  • Seafoam the intake thru the brake booster hose once or twice
  • 1/2 - 1 can of seafoam/injector cleaner in gas tank
  • Check vacuum hose from throttle body to MAP sensor on firewall

Slightly more advanced things to try:
  • Remove & thoroughly clean throttle body
  • Clean or replace Manifold Air Temp sensor
  • Replace O2 sensor(s) if original, test if newer

Those are all fairly simple things you can do yourself with basic tools. Be wary of the acetone trick; my understanding is that it can cause your NO levels to jump up in states that test for that such as yours. Does look like you're running rich, so I'd make sure all your sensors are good.

How do you guys come up with rich a/f when the Carbon Monoxide is well within limits?

Back