• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Crank, No Start.

madcrazy_lp

NAXJA Forum User
Got a little problem gentlemen. I'm getting a no crank from my 99 4.0, Automatic XJ. At this point I feel like I have tried everything.

When I turn the key I get nothing.

Cranks and starts with the screwdriver trick. Battery is good, I checked EVERY fuse. Did a relay check by switching out with other relays.

Figured it was the NSS. Pulled the NSS cleaned and reinstalled to no avail (Twice!). I had the idea to check for power from the solonoid wire when starting, NO voltage (not sure if this tells me much). I also tried to bypass the NSS altogether by jumping the black and blk/wht wires at the connector. Still Nothing

FSM tells me at this point its either wires, or the ignition switch.

When I key to start, my radio turns off, I can hear a click from INSIDE the dash passenger side. But my helper says the relay isn't clicking the way the fuel pump relay clicks, so I feel like the relay isn't being satisfied.

My question is this. Does my radio turning off rule out the ignition? Did I miss something? Whats next? Start checking wires? (on a side not I pulled the fuse box apart to make sure the wires we're still attached...)

Checked and tested ALL the fuses inside and under the hood ? Locate that relay and identify its purpose.

I have had a no start from a failed fuse, and from a relay or relay socket that was corroded. While you are pulling and inspecting the fuse at the interior fuses box, pull the relays that are in it, and just above it.

Back