• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much play in the steering column

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
My son's 2001 4WD 4.0 auto has a 3" lift on 31s and tracks straight, alignment seems good. But the steering wheel is about a quarter turn off center, and the play in the steering column is really too much for safe handling. I've looked underneath while he turns the wheel back-and-forth, and don't see anything that looks loose. Any suggestions? I want to avoid spending money I don't need to.

Mine was the same way when I bought it, 99, 4wd. I ended up replacing the gear box with a Durango model and it took care of it.

It was so bad I had to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

I also replaced the spacer between the frame and gear box at the same time with the c-rok spacer and frame stiffener.

Being off center is nothing more than adjusting the track bar. It happens when you lift a vehicle.

Put your hand on the pitman arm and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth through the dead spot. Watch the steering shaft input to the steering gear. You should feel no lag between the shaft starting to turn and the pitman shaft starting to turn. Your steering gear may be worn. You might get by with adjusting the lash on the steering gear, but be careful and read up on the procedure or you could have the box seize while driving down the road. :skull2:

Most time it is related to the track bar bushings or mounting being worn.

After you follow old man's instructions if it still has play:

Check both u joints on the column, one in the engine compartment and the other under the dash. I had the bolt back out of one and it made itself known. If the u joints are good and the play is between them in the telescoping shaft, it will need to be replaced. Be sure not to spin the steering wheel with the steering disconnected if you change out a part because you will destroy the clock spring for your airbag.

After looking closely at the video, it looks like the pitman shaft in the steering gear has a roached bearing. It moves up and down before the arm starts to rotate.

Back