• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: Late model NP231 in Seattle area

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm looking a late model NP231 for my 1998 XJ. I'm considering converting from my NP242 to a NP231 rather than replace a $10 seal.

The long version:
I drove the XJ to work the other day because it hasn't moved in a few months, just been sitting lonely in the driveway. Drove it to work without any issues. When I walked up to it to leave work I noticed a big puddle of ATF on the ground on the drivers side. So I drove it home quickly. I flew to China the next day so I didn't have time to look into it.

I'm a smart guy, so I'm assuming that it's the rear output seal of my current NP242 because it only leaks when I drive it. So I could probably get away with just replacing a $10 seal. But then I get to thinking that I should pull it out and rebuild it which is gonna cost about $225 in parts (chain, bearings, seals, etc). Then I get thinking that even though I love my 242, that a 231 with 2-low would be pretty sweet. So now I'm thinking about turning a $10 seal replacement into about $1000 worth of upgrade. See, I told you I'm a smart guy.

So anyone got an NP231 that'll fit my 1998 XJ?

Josh. Just buy an Atlas that's what all the other "smart guys" have done :smoker:

That was just about the best definition of the word "pretentious". As it gets in XJ-Land:badpc:

Josh, Buy an atlas:wave:

I have a 231 that's had a Rubicon express H/TT installed, PM me if you still need one.

Edit: I have a 242 rear output seal that's yours if you want it, for the cost of a drive to Bellevue... And a new chain that I'm willing to give you a bargain on.

Last edited:
Back