• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Tires- Best Bang for Buck?

paddlernate

NAXJA Forum User
Time for some new treads. My pain threshold is around $200/tire plus mount and balance. I've got kind of an oddball size and want to keep it that way- 305/70/R16 (33x12.50x16). I use my rig a few times a month at most, mostly for wheeling, but it does see a lot of highway miles on the way to/from my destinations. Current tires are Cooper Discoverer STT, and they seem like the right blend of aggressive and streetable. So, I'm looking for a similar mud terrain.
Anybody have any leads on good package deals locally or some off-brand tires I've overlooked? I've been browsing the interwebs, and the selection is kinda sparse. Gotta be careful about paying for shipping-it can jack the cost up too much. So, at 4Wheel Parts for instance, the Maxxis Bighorns are $253 each, MT Deegan 38's are $224 each, and Dick Cepek Extreme Country's are $243. All of these are above my pain threshold, but maybe I'm being unrealistic. Should I just go with one of these? Which one? I kinda like the looks of the Deegan 38, despite thinking the name is stupid.

I know of the Federal brand, but they don't make my size. Any other lesser known brands out there that are good products? Is there a tire shop anyone knows that might throw in mount, balance and alignment with the purchase of 4 that would lower the overall cost?

What I do every time, Is shop on Tirerack.. Find what you want for the price shipped to your door, and then print off the quote and take it in to Americas Tire, they will price match the shipped price, I've done this at least 5 times and always save a decent amount of coins

What I do every time, Is shop on Tirerack.. Find what you want for the price shipped to your door, and then print off the quote and take it in to Americas Tire, they will price match the shipped price, I've done this at least 5 times and always save a decent amount of coins

Almost inserted foot. Oh yeah, your down in Oregon....
Was gonna ask, how do they handled the price matching and sales tax.

So, I am rambling to subscribe. I need some 33's soon, but for 15" or blingy 17" wheels

Loved my old STT's, and the new STT Pro's look even better.

DiscovererSTTPro_Full.png

I like the one ones boring Dave sold me lol I don't remember what they are but they got some good voids and lugs to grab and decently quite on the road as far as I can tell lol I'll look tomorrow morning on the name lol

I've been running TreadWrights on my current Jeep and really like them, ran them on my last Jeep as well and again no complaints. They are a bit noisy but not overly so. They don't list any 305s in stock right now but you may want to give them a call sometimes their website isn't fully up to date. They are retread/remold tires but I've been impressed with them so far on this Jeep and my last. Some guys at work started running them as well and have been very happy with them.

If you can go one size smaller or larger they have some in stock. 285s for as low as 130 dollars a piece and 315s for 170 each.

http://treadwright.com/tw/select-tire/size/285/75/R16

http://treadwright.com/tw/select-tire/size/315/75/R16

I've been eyeing the new BFG KO2s for the XJ. The old ones had great tread life and performance in the snow. I've had my current set of KO's on a DD since December 2010 and they still have decent tread.

Following up here to give a big shout out to SpecFab for offering up an incredible deal. He offered a few options below my pain threshold, had my selection there in a few days, and mounted them the next. He's got nice, new tire equipment there, and knows how to use it! He's helped me out a few times recently and I really appreciate it.

I decided to go full cheapskate and get his lowest-priced offering, the GT Adventuro. Time will tell how they wear, and I'm gonna find out tomorrow how grippy they are at TSF. What I can say about them now is they look pretty badass on my rig.

Old vs New. That's mo' betta.
0e3d5cf92ff3b22870d763d382f602e8.jpg

b8e2b164e078837c68a12bef705d6cff.jpg

adb59fc1020829d4f9a9a9dfb9798e74.jpg

You're going to like the adventuro a lot, my jeep came with then in 235/75/15 when I bought it and even with 20%-30% tread left, they hooked good. They're a bit softer so the grip good.
Depending on how well km2 are(since they're the only 33"10.5 tire) I'll probably buy the 33" version of the adventuro

Following up here to give a big shout out to SpecFab for offering up an incredible deal. He offered a few options below my pain threshold, had my selection there in a few days, and mounted them the next. He's got nice, new tire equipment there, and knows how to use it! He's helped me out a few times recently and I really appreciate it.

I decided to go full cheapskate and get his lowest-priced offering, the GT Adventuro. Time will tell how they wear, and I'm gonna find out tomorrow how grippy they are at TSF. What I can say about them now is they look pretty badass on my rig.

Old vs New. That's mo' betta.
0e3d5cf92ff3b22870d763d382f602e8.jpg

They look good, where did you pick them up from?

b8e2b164e078837c68a12bef705d6cff.jpg

adb59fc1020829d4f9a9a9dfb9798e74.jpg

Back