• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoke pouring from exhaust collector (2000 XJ).

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Girlfriends 2000XJ has the cracky 0331 head and no OP when warm, so I'm swapping it out either way, but as this may not happen for a few days, I figured I'd post and see if anyone just happens to know the right answer, off the top of their head.

Motor ticks a bunch which is to be expected, but only recently start smoking. She only notices it after driving a few km with the engine hot, and comes to a complete stop. Took forever to get her to reproduce it, but I finally saw it today. Had her pull around the block again because while I saw the smoke coming out from under the hood, by the time I got outside (15-30 seconds later), the smoke was gone.
Another rip around the block and looks like the smoke is coming from the rearward (firewall side) of the collector (00's are split). Like, it's a lot of smoke but it dissipates very quickly, and letting it idle doesn't cause it to start smoking again. Seems to need a few minutes of hot driving, then you get 20-30 seconds of white/grey smoke and then it's gone. Really doesn't look like it's coming from the tranny. Seems to be obviously coming from the collector, but I can't think of anything other than gas that would dissipate that quick.

Has been doing this since this time last week, but she only drove it again today for the first time. Any brilliant idea's? Doesn't look oil soaked, and I can't feel anything on the collector. Just figure it'd be nice if she can drive it a few more days while I round up a new long block and manifold.

Coolant gets in the oil slowly, then when oil gets hot enough after driving hard, the coolant boils and escapes where it can.

Back