• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member - Just bought 94 Cherokee 4.0

CarolinaCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I recently bought a 1994 Cherokee with the 4.0 inline six and AW-4 automatic off Craigslist. Seller had bought the truck as a project but had some personal issues come up and decided he would rather sell. This is my first Jeep (all of my other 4x4s have been GM products, K5, Tahoe, etc.), so I'm dealing with a little bit of a learning curve.

It had sat up in his back yard for close to a year when I went to pick it up, but he dropped a battery in it and it fired right up. Engine runs good, good oil pressure, doesn't get hot. He told me that occasionally the NSS would act up and it wouldn't crank but that it was uncommon. I noticed that the lower trim panel under the dash was sitting in the back seat but I didn't really pay it any mind.

I drove the Jeep on the trailer and noticed that when I put it in gear that it seemed to rev rather high before it got moving but it didn't set off any alarm bells. Once I got it home, though, I realized that the Jeep was starting off in Overdrive instead of 1st gear. A little online research led me to find out that the computer on the trim panel is actually the Transmission Control Module, so I reconnected that. No start.

I disconnected the computer, and it cranks right up. I connected the computer with the Jeep running and the tranny shifts perfect. Cut the Jeep off, left the computer connected, went to crank it back up, and no start. Disconnect computer, cranks fine. I'm thinking the NSS is gone but I don't understand what difference the TCM being hooked up would make to it, so I'm trying to figure out if I should swap the TCM for a salvage yard one first or replace the NSS.

My name is David, by the way.

Back