• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Xj: Front Leaf Spring Mount Details

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
The floor pan in this area consists of overlapping sheet metal. Does anyone know if the bolt used to fasten the outer horizontal flange of the front leaf spring mount to the floor pan is the only means of securing this part of the mount to the floor pan? The undercoating still exists on my Xj so, I cannot see any spot weld markings, when viewed from below, to determine if they were also used to secure this smaller piece of the leaf spring mount to the floor. The assembly caulk above and around the bolt (on the inside of the passenger cabin) makes it impossible for me to tell if spot welds secure this part of the leaf spring mount from above.

My floor pan is rusting a little in this area above the leaf spring mount so, I am wondering if removing the bolt will permit me to pry the outer flange away from the floor pan so, I can sand away some of the rust and use POR-15 or Chassis Saver on the affected area before I reinstall the bolt.

The leaf spring pocket is welded to the unibody. The bolt in that area was/is most likely an aid for alignment and assembly during the unibody construction.

Back