• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 renix 4.0L with warped air filter box. Options?

4x4xj89

NAXJA Forum User
The housing for the air filter on my 89 Renix 4.0 is warped and the filter is slipping inside the box. What options do you guys recommend? I can't seem to find a good box at the junkyard as all the boxes there seem to suffer from the same problem.

I saw on Quadratec site the Rock-It Parts Hi-Flow Intake System for $184.95 and it seems it's the only option for a Renix. Can anyone recommend it or direct me to some other brand or option.

Thanks

I have the same issue on mine. To get the filter to stay seated I normally try and press one side of the air box in and hold it in the right shape as I get the lid seated and clipped in.

Ever consider trying to "unwarp" it? If I were to approach this I would remove the airbox from the XJ, flex the box until I could clasp the top in place perfectly and then heat up each side with a high amp heat gun (Harbor freight has a cheap one) until it softened the plastic. I would then let it cool and remove the top to see if it holds. If not, I might try it again (with the top off) by heating it up and then clamping it to my bench with a piece of wood.

Just a thought.

HTH
todd

Thanks for all the suggestions. All the options suggested make sense. I saw some pictures of cone filters attached via pvc tubes and seated inside the lower filter box. Seems like a reasonably cheap alternative. I don't want to buy anything off of ebay and find out it has the same problem as the box I have, same as the ones I saw in the junkyard.

If anyone has a suggestion on cone type filter with a part number, I would appreciate the info.

Ever consider trying to "unwarp" it? If I were to approach this I would remove the airbox from the XJ, flex the box until I could clasp the top in place perfectly and then heat up each side with a high amp heat gun (Harbor freight has a cheap one) until it softened the plastic. I would then let it cool and remove the top to see if it holds. If not, I might try it again (with the top off) by heating it up and then clamping it to my bench with a piece of wood.

Just a thought.

HTH
todd

I do have a powerful heat gun. I will probably try it if I run out of other options.

I found the Spectre site. Unfortunately it is no longer available.

They have crap filters anyway. There are a few vendors that sell cowl mounted filters and other open element hot-air-intake kits.

my original box was broken when I got my xj. I put a rustys tube thing on it. After moving to dusty Bend I decided stock box filters way better. I used a HO air box. Got a specter renix throttle body adapter (makes it so you can clamp a 3" hose to it). Got a 90* elbow and a 22* 3" aluminum tube and another 3" straight rubber hose and clamped it all together. Works great

You may be able to use an HO airbox. The line connect to the side vs the rear.

Using an HO box on a Renix engine would fail smog in CA. It doesn't have the passive air intake box or servo or bi-metal valve. Probably OK in Texas....or any other state.

!!!1

some all thread and acorn nuts.

drill hole in side of box. insert all thread. cut to length that straightens the sides. Install acorn nuts.

done, permanent, stops the box from being over sized with bowed out sides.

drill hole in side of box. insert all thread. cut to length that straightens the sides. Install acorn nuts.

This is basically what I did. Hole through the side, all-thread through the holes and some nuts on the outside to force the bowed sides back in. Did it about 10 years ago.

great idea. Will give it a try.

Thanks guys

Was thinking , by pass all that and just put a snorkel on it with the cone type filter (seen a few running around like that).
Just wonder if that's a "better" alternative to "fixing" the old box? I know Ca is tough on vehicles (inspections), so ya might want to check with your local garage on if it'll pass your inspections like that.

Back