• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gears in IPC noisey

mtbxj87

NAXJA Forum User
89 with idiot light IPC.
When its cold out the speedometer it self make a squawking noise, like dry plastic gears. I haven't tore into it yet. Just wanted to know if I can take the iPC apart and lube the mechanism for the speedo. Also,what lube would I use? graphite?
thanks, kyle.

More than likely, the cable is dry in the housing and is what is squeaking. They used to offer speedo cable lube, but i have not seen it in a long time. Lithium white grease works well too.

Just carefully remove the cluster and disconnect the speedo cable for the back of it. The plastic clip to release it is a PITA to get undone and can break easily. Once off you can slowly drip some 3-1 oil, gun oil.. into the casing that houses the cable and let it seep in, then repeat till you feel like you got enough in there. Might as well lube the back of the cluster where the cable seats into while your at it.

follow up:
I finally got around to pulling the IPC. Probably the most simplest gauge ive ever seen. I used tri-flo on the odometer gears and the cable. I think a lot of the noise was caused by the Cruise control speed pickup. I lubed that too. This morning it was all quiet. Ill see how long it lasts, if it comes back ill get a non cruise speedo cable, CC hasn't worked for some time now anyway.

Back