• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj no start

Dekamdylan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a 2000 jeep xj cherokee sport, not a zj grand cherokee, bought for 500, awesome shape except for rockers, typical, motor had awful knock, bought another motor, has alright compression, all cylinders within 5 psi, swapped it in, took cps out when installing, hooked up I believe all sensors/pigtails, primed fuel about 15-20 times and tried to crank it about 25 times for 15 seconds apiece, cranks but no start, hit Schrader on fuel rail, solid squirter after bleeding and primimg, does not even seem to fire, keep in mind it has coil pack, so have no idea about spark, open to any suggestions

Genuine Jeep CPS ?

What was the donor motor out of ? Did you use the correct flex plate ? Did you correctly find TDC and index the Cam Pick-up Sensor for the correctly ?

Assuming everything is correct, and all wires are plugged in, you will probably have to feather the gas pedal to get it to start and run until the PCM re-learns the idle settings.

Last edited:
Genuine Jeep CPS ?

What was the donor motor out of ? Did you use the correct flex plate ? Did you correctly find TDC and index the Cam Pick-up Sensor for the correctly ?

Assuming everything is correct, and all wires are plugged in, you will probably have to feather the gas pedal to get it to start and run until the PCM re-learns the idle settings.
I assume stock cps, did leave it in during the motor removal, but took it out when installing motor, we did jerk on the motor a considerable amount taking it out
Ok, I have a 2000 jeep xj cherokee sport, not a zj grand cherokee, bought for 500, awesome shape except for rockers, typical, motor had awful knock, bought another motor, has alright compression, all cylinders within 5 psi, swapped it in, took cps out when installing, hooked up I believe all sensors/pigtails, primed fuel about 15-20 times and tried to crank it about 25 times for 15 seconds apiece, cranks but no start, hit Schrader on fuel rail, solid squirter after bleeding and primimg, does not even seem to fire, keep in mind it has coil pack, so have no idea about spark, open to any suggestions

Did not index anything, matched flywheel up to bolt holes and tossed it in, did not know anything else was necessary, used flywheel from blown motor, took the donor motor that came from a running xj, and just tossed it in, is it necessary to index cam pick up?

What exactly was the engine donor vehicle ?

If you left the CPS in place during removal or install, assume it is damaged and replace with a genuine Jeep CPS.

The Cam Sensor Pickup needs to be indexed and installed just as a distributor would need to be.

Donor vehicle was a 2000 xj sport, Same model, the only difference I have noticed is that on my xj, the 02 sensors are down almost a against the bellhousing, but the exhaust manifold on this motor has 02 sensors in the bungs, while the one on mine the exhaust manifold bungs are plugged, could someone explain the procedure for indexing the cam pickup, it was not even touched, will that make a difference?

If the donor was a 2000 XJ, the flex plate and the cam sensor index should be correct. You can check the indexing with a toothpick. Make sure all the wire plugs are plugged in. Test the engine sensors. Suspect that all the handling and flexing of the wire harnesses may have caused or aggravated an open circuit, or a short circuit.

We checked spark, hooked tester between plug clip and block ground, nothing, put a spark plug in it, grounded strap of spark plug to block ground, nothing, unhooked coil pack, cranked jeep while checking pigtail plug volts, got between 10-12vdc on each, so assuming coil pack is bad, going to try my mechanic uncles spare coil pack 2nite

Are all the basics covered, fuses, wire plugs, sensors tested, inspected /tested for short circuits and open circuits ?

The crank sensor with the 5 vdc or 8vdc and tea the signal wire with ground to see if the flex plate is lined up correctly and is giving a reading, the other opinion of his Co owner of the shop is that it could be some sort of security issues from removing the battery? Please, any suggestions ate welcome, we are going to try to swap the computer from his 2000 xj and see what it does.

Back