• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM fan shroud installtion HELP

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I found an OEM fan shroud for my jeep in stock at the local Dealership and bought it, I went to install it this morning and I cannot get it past the fan as there is no room between the fan and the rad to slide it in. Can I just loosen the 4 nuts on the fan front and remove it to get that thing in and then re install?

Yeah I figured it out, what I didn't do in my haste was take the belt off before pulling the 4 bolts for the fan. Oh well, I have it figured out and its on its way to being back together.
:gee:

After fighting to reinstall the shroud every time I need to work on something; I decided there has to be an easier way.
My solution was to take a fine toothed hack saw and slice the shroud at the center top and bottom, drill tiny holes and install tabs. When I need to remove the shroud; I can remove the tiny bolts, and slip the two shroud pieces out individually. Now there is no need to fight getting your hands in to unbolt the fan blade and thermostatic clutch assembly.
Usually can be removed in around 5 minutes.

After fighting to reinstall the shroud every time I need to work on something; I decided there has to be an easier way.
My solution was to take a fine toothed hack saw and slice the shroud at the center top and bottom, drill tiny holes and install tabs. When I need to remove the shroud; I can remove the tiny bolts, and slip the two shroud pieces out individually. Now there is no need to fight getting your hands in to unbolt the fan blade and thermostatic clutch assembly.
Usually can be removed in around 5 minutes.

I keep planning on doing that every time I have the shroud off to make it easier to work with. I haven't had to remove it in a long time though, I might just commit to it one weekend and get it over with, the shroud is such a pain to deal with when you need to work in that area.

If you use a dealer clutch no modification is necessary. I only started having headaches with aftermarket. I also learned that the cheapest super glue at Walmart works great and putting a shroud back together or any of the black plastic on the efan. I am not kidding.

On my previous XJ, I clearanced the bottom of the shroud
so it would slide up and around the fan clutch. It didn't
seem to affect the cooling at all. On my current XJ, I use
a ratcheting box end to remove the fan clutch bolts so
it's pretty fast to remove the fan and shroud together...

I just cut the bottom out between the tabs so its in the shape of an upside down U. The tabs still work, the top still screws in, its sturdy, etc. I doubt losing a small section of the shroud at the bottom (where its thin anyway) will affect cooling and it means I can pull it out to get more room when working on the front of the motor without pulling the fan.

I purchased a 13mm ratcheting wrench, my issue was that it was to thick at the end to fit on the nut. It took longer but I got it accomplished.

Never have had much trouble getting the fan shroud in and out on my '96. It's a tight fit, but it can be done. Removing the electric fan seems to help. Removing the upper radiator support can also allow you to tilt the radiator towards the grill and give you a bit of extra room.

I take the upper rad support off and lean the radiator back. plenty of room to slide an intact shroud in and out.

Back