• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 transmissions problems

junkyardbuild

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all I apologize in advance if I do anything wrong its my first time. My 90 xj 4x4 4.0 is having some transmission issues reverse will work sometimes but takes a few minutes to engage and forward gear will only work for a few minutes then stops. I shut engine off restart and gears work again for just a min. I have serviced transmission replaced and set TPS,IAC and reset throw down cable also swapped TCU's no change there. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated would like to fix this transmission but willing to replace. Jeep has approx 240,000 on this engine.

Check/ adjust brakes switch on pedal under dash. Clean/adjust nss on right side of trans. Then try it again

Make sure your tranny fluid is the right type (Dex III or better, Dex/Merc compatible and not ATF-4) and at the right level.
Make sure your t-case is properly engaged and not even a little bit in Neutral.

Does it shift through all gears as it should. Pull the fuse to the TCU and see if it shifts manually through all gears...or if the fuse is blown. The fuse is an inline 10A fuse in-line near the TCU under the passenger knee panel. Is the TCU the correct one...does the connector color match the connector?

Back