• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro assist, who wants one and possible group buy?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I finally got word and was able to find out price for a 1.5x8x1 double acting welded swivel mount Rams for $85.69.
Now talking to the place my gf dad works at, they can order these Rams, if we did a group buy of 10 or more, the price per each would be $80.91.
If we did a order of at least 3-4 rams, they can get either a discounted shipping or free shipping.
Anyone interested in buying a ram for hydro assist? Regardless, I'll be buying one as its heck of a good price as surplus center is about $100 and redneck ram is $160

Well I can get all these
12ef3a3d80f41cc5b503bc8e4cd2dec7.jpg

I'm very interested in this actually. I'm picking up a new steering box soon, so might as well tap it for hydro while its going in and then toss on the ram. I'm going to talk to Adam about it since I'm buying the box from him because I'm curious if I should pickup a Ruff Stuff D44 cover and have the tabs welded to that instead of the housing (a common choice since its tough as nails and easy to weld on before it goes on. Would end up being a $300 project in parts for a 1 finger turn on the rocks.

I'm in the same boat as Dustin, I plan to do it this winter, but I still need to do some research too. A lot actually.....

And in all honesty, I'm probably just gonna buy the 'kit' from psc. Got quoted a stupid low price from a vendor here so if I do anything I'll probably go that route for simplicity.

Lol a ive done a lot already on research lol biggest thing is if you're going to street drive your rig or not, and if going full hydro geting a orbitol that does return center.

Hydro assist is on my winter upgrade list. I'm still researching/debating on ram, pump, and box configurations. I'll keep this in mind.

I'm in the same boat as Dustin, I plan to do it this winter, but I still need to do some research too. A lot actually.....

And in all honesty, I'm probably just gonna buy the 'kit' from psc. Got quoted a stupid low price from a vendor here so if I do anything I'll probably go that route for simplicity.

I'm very interested in this actually. I'm picking up a new steering box soon, so might as well tap it for hydro while its going in and then toss on the ram. I'm going to talk to Adam about it since I'm buying the box from him because I'm curious if I should pickup a Ruff Stuff D44 cover and have the tabs welded to that instead of the housing (a common choice since its tough as nails and easy to weld on before it goes on. Would end up being a $300 project in parts for a 1 finger turn on the rocks.

Red neck ram is the most economical and best to deal with. Check them out. That's what I run.

As far as reading and what I
Measured on mine, it's 8 inches of throw for both types of axles. If I'm wrong they still have 1.5x6x1 rams

Psc and everything else I've seen says just what nick did.
6" for 30's

As far as reading and what I
Measured on mine, it's 8 inches of throw for both types of axles. If I'm wrong they still have 1.5x6x1 rams
Your research and measuring is flawed. :D

Here's Betty (bone stock D30, 6.5").
E829D0B0-D44B-403A-BE50-CCC3B272BA12.jpg

Nail Salon (D44, with the steering stops adjusted to who_cares).
08981D91-513B-411E-8F0E-85926B88FA72.jpg

A 8" ram will work on a shorter throw, but will always be trying to over power the steering stops and box. This is why PSC/Howe recommends limiting the ram internally for your amount of steering throw.

Also, while it's not that noticeable for our applications, the larger the shaft diameter for a given bore diameter, the less force the cylinder will have. So while a 1" shaft may seem like a bonus, the .625" or .750" shaft of the PSC/Howe rams actually make them more powerful.

However, $85 for a ram is a good deal either way. I'm sure you could put together a pretty cheap hydro assist when all said and done.

Hmmm I'm going to have to check my steering stops because without the ruffstuff cover in the way and all things cleared, mine is getting 7 1/4" of throw. From full left to full right, mine measured 7.25"
Well I got the Caroline book so I bet I could find a 1.5x6x.75 ram for cheap

Back