• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4.0L---Let's talk exhaust mounting

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've been fighting my exhaust pipe position for a while. Collective trail damage over the years has bent and repositioned the pipe and its mounts. It's knocking right there at the transmission mount because the pipe is resting on the crossmember. I've tried everything to reposition the pipe to get it up off that, to no avail. It sags back down after a bit of driving and the knock returns.

I replaced that little square rubber insulator inside the trans mount, that the exhaust support bar slides into (what a crappy design). I've replaced the trans mount, the crossmember, and the entire front pipe. Also replaced the hanger by the axle. (The rearmost one is gone--I mean the #2 hanger.) A lot of this stuff was damaged or rusted, so replacing was mostly general maintenance--not a case of throwing parts at it to fix the knock. But the pipe still sits too low there.

SO, my question is, are any others dealing with this same problem, and have you found a way to resolve it?

Thanks,

Chris

The first time i had an xj without the crossmember exhaust rattle was after i mounted mine rigidly after the flex joint.... no noises since, couldnt be happier with my clothes on...
QCiH9iE.jpg

IS3zImw.jpg

Back