• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaky Cold Start

turbo supra

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this issue for a couple months now. It's just now starting to make me wonder if something is wrong with the oil system.

On a cold start, the motor is real shaky until it build up oil pressure. It takes 3-4 seconds before oil pressure is high enough. Is this typical?

Should I be concerned with dropping the pan and checking for gunk? I'm good with my oil changes, but I can't say for the past 14 years.

I would be more likely to think you have a leaky injector. When it first starts, have someone look at and smell the tail pipe. If it is really strong with a gas smell, think injector.

You can also pull the plugs and take a look at them.

Issue is more than likely unrelated to oil pressure. My guess is the reason the oil pressure is reading low is because the engine is sputtering and barely running and once it starts running right the rpm's pick up and so does your oil pressure accordingly. What year is your rig? Try priming the fuel rail before starting by turning the key to the on position a few times and see if that makes a difference.

I would be more likely to think you have a leaky injector. When it first starts, have someone look at and smell the tail pipe. If it is really strong with a gas smell, think injector.

You can also pull the plugs and take a look at them.

What are you looking for here? Are you thinking they just need a good cleaning?

The old school and in my opinion....best way to see what an engine is doing is by doing a spark plug reading. How the plugs look when you pull them can tell you a lot about what is going on in your engine.

Google for reading spark plugs.

Listen to old_man! He is wise!!

The old school and in my opinion....best way to see what an engine is doing is by doing a spark plug reading. How the plugs look when you pull them can tell you a lot about what is going on in your engine.

Google for reading spark plugs.

Back