• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporator replacement

I haven't seen a write up either but have taken mine apart. Here is what I found:

Dash removal
1) you need to pull the dash back to get the heater box out. I saw comments from others that it was possible to do without completely removing it but I haven't done this so below are my notes on full dash removal:
i) remove the lower dash assembly, center console, radio, instrument cluster and anything with wires (including the headlight switch)
ii) remove the 3 screws that hold the windshield vent in place. there is one in front of the driver, one in the middle and one above the glovebox. Once removed, you may have to wiggle the vent cover around a bit to remove it. A long Phillips screwdriver comes in handy here (and magnetic is best when you go to reinstall). Also, remove the trim pieces around the glovebox and you should find another screw behind them that has to be removed.
iii) under that vent cover are 4 (I think) bolts that hold the top of the dash to the body, remove those.
iv) loosen the two big bolts that hold the steering column in place to make room to drop the dash. I typically remove one completely and back the other off to make the most room.
v) on the bottom left/right of the dash (under where the lower dash was) you will find two bolts holding the bottom of the dash in place. The dash is slotted to fit into these bolts so simply loosen them off and tilt the dash back.
vi) at this point you will find the wiring harnesses zip tied to the back of the dash. I simply cut those off but left the straps connected to the dash. When you go to reassemble, you can add a zip tie to the harness and simply string the end back through the locking section you left on the back of the dash.
vii) using a pair of needle nose pliers, disconnect the vent hoses from the dash.
viii) you should be able to pull the dash completely out at this point.

Heater/Evaporator box removal
1) Engine bay steps
i) Remove all hoses through the engine bay. I recommend blasting some compressed air through the heater core and the evaporator core (covering the other end with a bucket) so they don't pore antifreeze/PAG oil into your interior.
ii) Remove the heater fan through the engine bay
iii) There are 3 nuts that hold the box in place. 2 near the fan and one closer to the engine. Remove these nuts.
2) Inside the Cabin
i) Mark each vacuum hose with a piece of tape and label them so you remember where they go
ii) Remove the wires going to the Fan resistor pack (down near the passengers feet).
iii) pull the defrost vent off the top

At this point, the entire heater assembly can be removed.

Replacing the evaporator
1)with the the heater box on a bench you will find a series of screws across the top. Remove all of these screws and lift the top off. At this point you will have full access to the evaporator (and the heater core) and can replace it.

This is a LOT of work but can be done in a weekend. To reinstall, simply reverse the process.

HTH
Todd

Probably be a good time to replace the heater core while you're in there. Nothing worse than doing all that work only to find out it's bad in a few months.

Back