• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can axle shaft u-joints cause a strong wobble?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I am at a loss on a wobble that's been around for over a year. If I hit a rough patch of road the right way, usually on the right side of the Jeep, the steering wheel will shimmy a few times and then everything is normal. Not really enough to think about. A couple of days ago I hit a rough patch on the left side and the steering wheel started shaking. I was doing about 60 at the time and pulled off to the right shoulder and stopped. Once I got below 20-40 the wobble had basically gone away. I'm not sure exactly about the speed, I was more focused on getting off the road. I do know the wobble stopped before I came to a stop.

I've looked everything over and can't see anything wrong. We turned the steering lock to lock looking at TRE's, both end of the track bar, the steering box, BJ's, etc. and didn't see anything wrong. All of these parts, including the LCA/UCA's and axle bushings are only about one year old.

The last time anything like this happened was last fall. I hit a rough patch of road and the coffee I was holding shook out of my hand. I changed the left outer TRE. It had only the slightest amount of play and seemed to fix the problem. I decided 300-325,000 miles was enough for the rest of the factory TRE's so I changed the rest after that.

The only thing I haven't changed recently is the axle shaft u-joints. One is about 2 years old the other is original. 4wd works fine, and no binding in the steering occurs. Neither are "making rust".

01 XJ 336,000. Stock suspension. Your thoughts welcome. I am thinking of changing the axle shaft u-joints or at least pulling the shafts to do a better inspection because I'm out of ideas.

Corrected my XJ "Death Wobble", by installing a package deal via;
https://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/

The above link goes to a new'er site, (of; parts/packages), which also has much more to be desired, i.e., the old site had a more quickly found discussion on the subject, and thusly a less timely experience in order to 'hone-in' on the DW issue. That said, there is also a blog link found there at the top of the home page which attempts to bring a clearer insight into the CW problem, which is; http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/death-wobble-cures/how-to-fix-your-own-death-wobble/#comment-34205

Be sure to read the last above blog paragraph, (although it might not be a part of your problem). I would rather think you have just replaced parts that are perhaps substandard, or just not really fitting well together. I decided against obtaining parts from one good vendor, and then other parts from another good vendor, etc.., and by such; adding different brand name parts together just to not remove the DW issue.., aarggh! Hence I went with Kevin's off road products built specifically matched together in order to dis the DW issue. That said, my thinking too was that should the DW issue then remain.., I could have Kevin, to not only back his products, but give me additional diagnosis towards the issue. Wordy.., I know.., but here is an example; Kevin has tested many front steering shock absorber brands through the years, and have found only two worthy of installation towards minimizing the variables of DW harmonics. By buying either of his recommended ones, in addition to his DW parts specific for DW elimination I felt that such a package deal would be best; less costly, and less time scratching my head. If DW remains after all of that.., he will be able to bird-dog you to the next step.

One thing that was introduced, (within that first link), is a book about "DW", that is probably a worthwhile read should one be a mechanic, and desires a DW bible. The price is not that too much, but was not available when I obtained a package deal of parts in order for me to wrench/fix my XJ. I also upgraded my coils, and rear leafs with Old Man Emu in order to obtain a slightly higher level lift so as to remove any other sagging variables adding to the oscillation issues of developing DW within the front end components. Success!

Due to the fact that I find that the DW discussion on the two links above are time consuming, and not really that adequate to comprehending the fix, I would suggest just giving them a telephone call, tell them your problem, and what parts they suggest you should order. They will do you good, and by my experience will not sell you what you do not need. They will sell you primo outstanding parts to fix your DW. I do not work for them, and rarely give anyone an A+.., but they have earned it imho.

BTW; (arbusa.com); ARB, and Old Man Emu get maybe an A- for many, but I give them an A. With as many miles as you have on your XJ, the additional cost of suspension components might not be your intent, but just saying that getting your high mileage under carriage back in shape might require your consideration. Am happier that I did mine to augment the front end issue.., and to carry a heavier cargo load, as well as increasing the trailer hitch tongue weight.., if I ever need it. I looked at their on-line catalog, got confused about some parts.., gave them a call, talked to a technician at one of their 4WD parts store outlets, and got my list properly prepared in order to order. Unlike 'ya all.., shipping to Alaska is a hassle, (mostly by barge), i.e., sending incorrect parts back, and forth is time consuming, costly.., so better to do the reading/talking research ahead of making an order.

Just my 2 cents.., and remember, more, and more godless commie chinese crap parts for our XJ's are sold under 'brand' names, and the Quality Control on said parts do not seem to be up to par.., according to many buyers on many Jeep sites.

Thanks Alaskan.

I came across KOR's DW write up in the past and skimmed through it again. u-joint isn't mentioned in the article.

The entire suspension has already been refreshed with "quality" parts - NAPA Chassis for the steering, MOOG for the control arms (Clevite bushings), Spicer ball joints, ...

The wobble was first noticed prior to any of the suspension work, so it's been the same with the worn parts and the new. That's what's got me thinking it could be the axle shaft u-joints or something I haven't looked at before.

I can't see any cracks in the frame or track bar mount.

Back