• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling pinion yoke

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Can you pull a pinion yoke without messing up gear settings?

I got a bearing strap bolt snapped off I can't get extracted. Would like to pull the yoke for better access or replacement.

Can it be done by hand with a breaker bar and torque wrench?

What's the torque setting?

If the axle in question uses a crush sleeve, then you just have to make a mark on the pinion nut and yoke, and then tighten back to that position when you are done. Otherwise you will need to retorque, and check setup.

I agree. You MUST mark a line across the back end of the pinion gear shaft and nut. As long as the carrier is not moved, it will hold the pinion gear in place. So just dont let anything move. Make whatever repair you have to. Now is the time to replace the seal as well-$3.00. Then reinstall everything and tighten the nut until those lines you made earlier all line up. Re-install the drive shaft.

Issue avoided. After breaking 2 extractors (cheap autozone) I was able to drill out the broken bolt and run a thread chaser in, that pushed out the broken bolt.

Drive shaft installed!

Back