• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Issue

COnavyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So back in December I left for deployment. I had to leave my jeep sitting until I returned in July. Upon returning my trans was slipping pretty bad. I set up and appointment at a local shop to get it checked out. The day that I went to take it in reverse was completely gone, and neutral had turned into drive. Horrible. I took it in and the guy explained that the torque converter had dry rotted and completely destroyed itself. Some money later, and the trans was back up and running perfectly.... Until today.

Story time. I am driving off base and pull up to a red light. Light turns green and I go to take off, but there was no taking off. The jeep revved up and barely crept forward. I instantly pull off into a parking lot. Put it back in park, then cycled through the gears. Tried to take off again and the same problem. I stop, drop it down into reverse, works fine. Put it in 1st, took off just fine. 2nd, just fine. Once I was up to around 20mph I shifted it into drive and it ran fine, until I stopped. Then it had the same problem.
shrug.gif
I'm no expert on transmissions, but I'm pretty dang sure I have a problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? I luckly purchased an 18 month warranty on the transmission, but if it is a quick fix I can do I would rather go that route considering the shop had my jeep for about 10 days the last time. Pretty upset about it all.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant week.​

Just a shot in the dark. Try checking the entire length of the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) wire harness for chafing, bare spots, or signs that a critter got up in there and had gnawed
at the wires while you were away on deployment.

Sounds like the tcu is going out. Maybe loose connection. Sounds textbook tcu issue to me.

If you can manually shift through the gears but it won't on its own that is.

I have never heard of a "dry rotted" torque converter in my 57 years of repair experience.

My advice: get a second opinion from an independent, local shop or a dealership. If you paid with a credit card, call the issuer to dispute the charge until fully resolved.

My best guess is a valve body problem, incorrect fluid specs and/or maintenance issues.

TCU

If it is the TCU is seems to be an easy fix. Do you guys think it might be just the fuse? I would check, but I am currently out to sea.

Check the fluid level. If that is OK, my thoughts are it is a pump seal problem, not a TC problem.

I didn't read all that close, but from what I read, manually shifting didn't help.

The old school fix it to put a cup of lacquer thinner in the fluid. That will soften up the seals and make them hold pressure better.

Back channel me with your email and I can get you the manual for the AW4 with diagnositics.

He said he can manually shift through the gears fine but if he puts it in D it's not moving. Doesn't that say that the transmission is bypassing the electronic control (TCU) and is only working the valve body based on mechanical shifter position? I agree that it very well could be a loose wire, fuse

Back