• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ axles for street use.

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I got the whole Hub mess figured out, I decided Im going to replace the front axles while Im this far into the job. The stock axles worked well, as its a mostly street driven rig. I was going to re-use them since I cleaned them up a bit, but they were pretty corroded, especially out near the hub end. The rust was to the point where it was flaking off. So, what brand do you guys recommend for a mostly street driven rig? As always, stock was ok, but if I can step up in strength and quality a bit, now is the time to do it. Thanks Gents!

Reading between the lines, you mean axle shafts and not axle housings?

For mostly street driving, I would say first, pick a sticker, then make sure the vendor will send shafts and joints fully assembled. Spicer joints.

If I buy shafts for my little rig, probably get Nitro or 10 Factory if that is still a thing.

It's normal for them to be rusty. I would change the u-joints and keep running them!!

Unless you're running a locker there's no reason to upgrade.

Ditto on the Spicers, they are 5-760X.

It was just a thought since I was already at the point to change them easily, everythings already out. Not looking to throw money away, I was just curious if there was something a little better than stock, always looking to be a little better. But I see your guys point too, it is street use, so what am I really going to do to them. If anything Ill just upgrade to the better Spicer U-joints and go with that. So just to be sure here, I DID scrape off a bunch of rust at the ends near the hubs, so is it normal to have a slight taper near the hub end? They are not uniform in thickness the whole length, they get a little (a little) thinner out near the outer end, Is this normal? Just hard to tell from the cleaning I did to them.

no amount of cleaning you did is going to change the fundamental dimensions, unless you cleaned them with a grinder and a disc.

yes, they taper.

Wipe them down, clean and grease the splines, install them.
Any shaft will get rusty in the front because the axle tubes aren't sealed.
If the splines and yokes are in good shape there's no reason to replace them.

Spicer Life Series are what the Jeep left the factory with so I wouldn't consider the 5-760X an upgrade unless Spicer improved the part over time. 5-760X is the current part number for Spicer Life Series that fit our Jeeps.

Excellent, thanks guys! I appreciate the insight on the axles 87manche, it was the taper that I was concerned about. Ive never been into the front axles before (206,000 mi.) so wasnt sure what was normal. I also realize how hard that nodular iron is too, so Im sure they are going to be ok. Already have them cleaned and greased, so in they go.

Back