• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The never ending leaky AX15... What gives?

s14unimog

NAXJA Forum User
What's the consensus on those out there with an AX15? Are you leaking or not? It seems every build thread I see with another 5-speed owner, there's is leaking too.

I recently had to get inside mine to replace a 3/4 fork and in the process threw in yet ANOTHER rear tail seal since mine was leaking again. All is back together and not but a few days later I had to take a run down to Florida, about an 8hr drive from my place. Since the recent work was fresh on my mind, I kept peaking under the truck throughout my trip and about half way into my journey that damn seal started leaking again... I know it's the rear seal b/c the fluid originates from the rear weep hole on the transmission between the transfer case. What give?? Before this, I have replaced that seal probably three times throughout my ownership of this Jeep. It's really annoying me at this point - not exactly the easiest to get in and replace.

any ideas?

The AX-15 output shaft seal was leaking when I replaced the throw out bearing and clutch on the '98 back in 2009. There were no shaft for burrs and abrasions, but fast forward 4 years and the seal starts leaking again...
I just keeping wiping and checking the gear oil level.

Just a thought, but have you verified that the tranny vent and line are clear of obstructions? A clogged vent will not allow the expanding pressures due to heat buildup to escape the tranny case...and as a result can push the fluid past the seals since they are the next weak link in the chain so to speak. Might be worth looking into. I know that on my 95 YJ w/ AX15, that was the cause of my leaky rear seal issues. Fixed that, and have never had the seal leak again. Although I do still recommend keeping a close eye on it just for good measure.:idea:

...actually, as I was pondering over this last night in bed, I realized that my transmission doesn't actually have a vent. I know the factory vent is located on the shifter base, but I'm running a Hurst short throw. I've always assumed that it would venting through the pivot ball area, but I bet not so much. I'm going to pull that shifter physically add a barbed fitting and remote breather tube (alongside the transfer cases) and report back.

I hate to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm really hopeful considering.

Definitely sounds like a reasonable approach...& very well could be the resolution. I am willing to bet, that set up is at least a contributing factor.:repair::idea:

Back