• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glove box lock cylinder

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
1992 Jeep 4.0 AX15

So broke my glove box today because it wouldn't open. Now I have to replace the lock mechanism and retaining piece inside the glove box. My question is if there is a way to remove the lock cylinder from the glove box piece to put into a new one? I rather not have to trouble with getting it rekeyed.

Yes you can remove the lock cylinder but its not really worth the effort. If someone really wants to get into you glove box they will very easily since the locking mechanism is very weak. When this happened to me I just went to the junk yard and found another clove box lock that wasn't locked, I grabbed the entire assembly and just popped off the front colored plate and slapped the one from my old one on so that the interior color matched. You wont be able to lock it with a key but you will be able to latch the door closed.

Back