• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Drive (need input a.s.a.p.) ON THE ROAD NOW

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
200 miles from home.

231 TC with SYE.
Rear drive shaft u joint is chirping and starting a mild clunk.

Thinking of pulling the rear shaft and going front wheel drive.

Front is stock drive shaft, non disco, alloy shafts and an ected (limited slip when off)

I am thinking wide turns and keep speed down a bit?

Any issues with this plan? - or just try to power through on the rear???

Ugh. Tough to say. I might drive it till it fails. Then go with your plan. You already know you're replacing u joints. Any play in them?

Outside of noises any driveabiluty issues?

I take it your front shaft is to long for the rear? I thought you could use your front in the rear when u have a SYE. But yes u can drive with the front only

Actually my boy is driving the XJ home from Tahoe. I am still up here so 300 miles away from him. He knows how to pull rear shaft.

No play or vibes when he left just some chirping.

I think I'll tell him to proceed until he feels vibes, then pull it and finish in front wheel. ????

Kinda worried about it failing and causing more damage?

Thanks for the replies.

Weak point will be the axle u-joints. Should be fine as long as he doesn't hammer it. I drove my CJ around for a week like that, and my old XJ for almost a month on just the front. If the rear is just chirping and doesn't have any play when you try to move it, just run that until he gets home.

Thanks for all the replies and the phone call from Cal!

The boy made it home, driveshaft is sitting in the garage waiting for new u-joints and the XJ is currently running front wheel drive with no issues other than some fairly funky torque steer.

Nice to have a little support when your dealing with issues 100's of miles away.

Back