• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel stud problem today

PartyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving down the freeway about 60 -65 mph felt what seemed exactly like slight death wobble. Then **** me felt the steering wheel jerk and there I went fish tailing like a solid steel salmon. Managed to get it back under control and pulled off to the shoulder. Checked under everything was there and seemed normal. Tried to drive it off the freeway because I did not want to die after almost dying. It felt like nothing I ever felt it moved forward but was wobbling and jerking really bad.

Got to a safe spot and then I saw it.
Four of my lug nuts were broken off that last one that held on is now my lucky nut.

What could have caused this?

The caliper did not seem locked up or the wheel bearing both spun freely. After I got new wheel studs and lug nuts from autozone . I drove it home slowly and was driving somewhat fine. At higher speeds I felt that slight wobble again. When I got home I tried turning the rotor it felt hard to turn but not locked up.

Lug studs are under tension when the lug nuts are torqued. Over time they can stretch and eventually fail due to metal fatigue. Damaged from four wheeling can also cause or contribute to failure. Idiots at tire shops that don't use an actual torque wrench can also be the main cause.

If the rim is steel, check it for damage. Look for bending or distortion at the mounting surface, and indicate the rim for roundness and run-out.

Check the axle shaft u-joints on that side.

Forgot to mention its a 2wd. After I removed the caliper and tried to put it back on its now stuck . Could this have been the cause?. could it have just locked up at freeway sped and the force just broke all but one nut?. I recently installed the wj booster and master cylinder but not the proportioning valve would this be a factor in a caliper locking up?

This has been a city jeep in L.A all its life so no wheeling. The wheel was trashed from the short distance travelled on it after the lugs bust. It even wore a whole through the aluminum where air now vents.

Wheel mounting studs fail, it might be wise to replace more than just the broken ones.

Got new tires about two months ago had them mounted at a shop.Free when you buy a set of 4. I replaced all the studs on that wheel will do the other tomorrow to be on the safe side.

Got new tires about two months ago had them mounted at a shop.Free when you buy a set of 4. I replaced all the studs on that wheel will do the other tomorrow to be on the safe side.

More than likely the shop over tightened them

Back