• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Cherokee 4.0L Ticking Diagnosis and Repair

Ima Doit

NAXJA Forum User
Your issue could be different, but, for me this was the scenario. I'm creating this thread as record for someone searching one day.

The motor was hard to start and ticking. Has other issues so im not sure if the hard start is related. I hate ticking, so, I dug in. Pull the valve
Cover off and look. Check the rocker arms for play. See below video. You will also notice the lack of oil in the rocker arm.

I could physically see the rod that rides on the lifter was bent. While I could spin all the arms in place, I couldn't splin this one that was loose. I pulled off the bracket that holds the rocker arms in place and worked this rod out. As you can see....it's not normal. Should be straight. Ha.

HZzyoLx.jpg

I replaced the rod with another I had around and bingo...no more ticking. Pumps oil like it should. Much quieter...

Hopefully this helps someone else. And hopefully I didn't do more damage to the motor. Ha. Time will tell.

Back