• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ headers.....

Jbh97009

NAXJA Forum User
About to order a new header to replace my nasty cracked to hell sorry excuse for an exhaust manifold.....

Question is, what are you guys using? Or what would you recommend?
Most of the reading I've done it sounds like even the high dollar ones crack just like the el cheapo's do. I kinda think solid motor/trans mounts would keep the header together longer, so, I'm looking at either the apn, or just the doorman replacement.

Any input?

Oem factory upgraded one. It's got the flex joint on the 1st and 6th exhaust port and helps reduce/eliminate the cracked tubes. It is on mine and I like it.

Yup that's the one, look on rockauto abd see. I thought I saw one there about for about $100 or find one at a junk yard.

Ah, good call Larry! I happen to have a rock auto gift card too

FWIW I've had my APN header (banks clone basically) for over 7 years without issue.
Even had a motor mount block bracket snap off passenger side and drove home. No cracks yet, and going strong!

FWIW I've had my APN header (banks clone basically) for over 7 years without issue.
Even had a motor mount block bracket snap off passenger side and drove home. No cracks yet, and going strong!

I've had my APN header for a few years and had a mandrel bent downpipe fitted to it. I also had to modify the intake manifold a bit to get the header to fit correctly. It has performed well, but has lately developed an exhaust leak at the gasket. Finding a gasket has been difficult.

I'm considering going with the Dorman 674-196 shown above or removing the APN and finding a gasket at local parts store that would fit. The ineedparts.com website now shows the APN header as non-CARB compliant, so that may convince me to go with the cheap Dorman. I'm trying to sell my rig and don't want to deal with an exhaust leak and smog issues.

I'm running a Banks.

Back