• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has resprayed their XJ (or other car)? How much paint did you need?

thepdk

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished fixing lots of nasty rocker panel rust. Will be respraying the jeep the same color.

I plan on sanding the clear and respraying the same color base (2 coats) and 2-3 coats clear.

How much paint did you spray after it was reduced. So total paint through the gun. Example took 1 quart reduced 1:1. Total sprayed would be 2 quarts. Just have no idea how much to buy.

Thanks!

Paint generally gets cheaper per ounce the more you buy. To me the best buy is always a gallon. You won't need it all to paint an XJ, but you'll have some left over if you ever need to touch a panel up. Also, I assume you're new to painting cars, and you're apt to mess a panel up when painting, and you might need a little extra to fix your mistake. I generally use around 3 quarts when painting an entire car.

I did a complete color change last summer. I went with a darker color (Hunter Green Metallic) and needed 3 coats. This plus the interior floors, interior of the doors and the hatch I ended up buying 1.5 gallons. In the end, I probably had a quart left over.

Last edited:
I used 3/4 gallon to paint my XJ. Add to that a like amount of clearcoat.

Last edited:
I did a complete color change last summer. I went with a darker color (Hunter Green Metallic) and needed 3 coats. This plus the interior floors, interior of the doors and the hatch I ended up buying 1.5 gallons. In the end, I probably had a quart left over.

Thats 1.5 gallons of base or .75gallons reduced 1:1?

My paint mixes 1:1.5. I used 3 quarts of the un-reduced paint.

Thats 1.5 gallons of base or .75gallons reduced 1:1?

That was 1.5 gallons of base (note that I had a quart left so it was 1.25 total). My base coat required a 2:1 ratio of base:reducer so total capacity sprayed would have been 1.875 for a complete color change with 3 coats (including interior). Based on this, I would suspect that the other posters estimates of .75 gallons is pretty close.

HTH
Todd

FWIW, the base I used was "Wanda" (an Akzo Nobel brand). It is relatively inexpensive, it lays down really nice and while mine was a color change, I hear that they do a great job of color matching. I picked it up from a local "jobber". For the clear, epoxy primer and reducer, I bought on-line from Southern Polyurethanes. This was my first time painting a vehicle and their "Universal Clear" gets rave reviews on many forums. The owner is a GREAT guy and makes himself available to answer questions anytime. In fact, if you phone their "Tech line", you will reach him on his cell. He gave me great advice and answered every question I had including "what gun, what pressure, what speed of activator...."

HTH
Todd

Back