• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep 2.5 TD coolant leaking from top art of the engine

locoporlacaza

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! I just bought a Jeep 2.5 TD 1996. It is leaking coolant from the top-side part of the engine. I removed the air filter comp. and looks like the leaking is coming from one of the round holes from the the top side of the engine. To better understand what I explanation, the hole has something that looks like a threaded screw in it. Is it posible to somebody tell me how to fix that? Thanks in advance

there are some head studs that thread into the water jacket.
It's possible that's where your leak is. Repair will require removing the head and re sealing the stud.

A picture of the leaking bolt would be immensely helpful.

here's the head bolt diagram
882.5YJhead.jpg

is it number 8 that's leaking on yours?

Just to play devils advocate...couldn't he just pull the # 8 bolt (if in fact that's where it's leaking)...seal it and put the bolt back in ?? Would it cause problems, like danger of lifting the corner?

Us N/Aers aren't that familiar with the 2.5TDs other countries got. In 1996 our 4.0l heads moved away from the dash gauge coolant sensor that was in the #7 area(not the #7 head bolt, but close to it on the back corner by the firewall). The early 96's still had the sender, some had a cap screw to plug it, and others just had a boss). The question is: Is it leaking from the front corner or the back corner? Post some pics of that engine(oops you're a newbie, so need at least 10 posts?).

Back