• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Knocking in Front Left at Start and Stop

WesWood151

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ with some no-name 2" spacer lift. Knocks when I bring it to a complete stop, start, or reverse. Sounds like it is in the front left, but when I put it up on the lift and checked all the joints and bushings, there was nothing loose. I plan on putting on a DPG OME lift shortly and hope that I can either solve or determine the issue when installing that. My TJ knocked like this from the rear, but that was a shot shock upper shock mount... No such luck here.

I'd love to hear some possibilities from the years of experience our there.

Frustrated!

check the track bar at the frame side. Youll probably have to have some one in the jeep wiggling the steering wheel back and forth while you put you hand on all the joints in the front end

Same noise for me, but on passenger side. Turns out it was the ball joints.
Lift up the drivers side and shove a pry bar (2x4) or something under the tire and give it a wiggle. Maybe have someone do this for you while you are watching the ball joints.

Track bar bushings/joints/mounting hardware should be the first suspect, suspension bushings next, and really really worn out u-joints can clunk. If the axle side track bar bushing bolt hole was re-drilled, make sure it has not elongated.

All great suggestions + sway bar bushings,
And last check the brake on that side.
It may be locking up if you have a slightly stuck caliper.

Back