• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought me one of them fancy side-by-side things.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_20150815_173244254_zpslq0nnx2l.jpg

Isn't it CUTE?!?!? Lol. '86 Sami..... Built 1.8 Sidekick engine (cam, injected, .30 over domed pistons), 6:1 tcase kit, spring over lift on 3" calmini leaf packs (6" lift overall) and decent 31's. Cal mini steering kit, drive shaft spacers, rock rails, twin-stick rear brake levers, clean E-test certificate to go with it too! $1,900

Let the harassment begin......:D

Last edited:
Let the harassment begin......:D
OK, I'll go first:

Have you resorted to hoarding obsolete vehicles that can park in your covered patio?

Is this something you won't feel bad about thrashing at the mall?

Is this all you can bring for a mid-life crises?

:D

TJ flares. I'll be doing this......:thumbup:

0614101748.jpg

Pics are a bit deceiving..... Its got minor rust in spots, a skanky interior and faded paint (but should buff out nice). The OEM flares are dry and cracking anyhow. I don't need to cut anything to put the flares on either. I might not use the TJ flares ..... Might be too big over the 31's (big opening little tires). Pretty sure that pic above shows 33" tires.

Can't find any Sami's in the junk yards currently..... Never looked for them before, but I'm kinda surprised. Would like another pair of doors to cut down for half doors.

Gonna need to come up with a simple winch mount and maybe some tube to make a simple front bumper. Might just extend the front frame horns and put a CJ style winch plate on top of that. Seems there might be room to recess a winch between the frame horns under the header panel.....dunno that I care to do that much fab work on this thing though.

Rear bumper should be a simple 2x4 box tube. Maybe some oval LED tail lights and be done.

More importantly, I ordered the new replacement top last night.

I'm curious if I'm gonna want/need to add a locker too.......

Last edited:
And Vanagons are silly. Ummm...yeah.

#probablycantevenholdyoursnoopyrod

Pics are a bit deceiving..... Its got minor rust in spots, a skanky interior and faded paint (but should buff out nice). The OEM flares are dry and cracking anyhow. I don't need to cut anything to put the flares on either. I might not use the TJ flares ..... Might be too big over the 31's (big opening little tires). Pretty sure that pic above shows 33" tires.

Can't find any Sami's in the junk yards currently..... Never looked for them before, but I'm kinda surprised. Would like another pair of doors to cut down for half doors.

Gonna need to come up with a simple winch mount and maybe some tube to make a simple front bumper. Might just extend the front frame horns and put a CJ style winch plate on top of that. Seems there might be room to recess a winch between the frame horns under the header panel.....dunno that I care to do that much fab work on this thing though.

Rear bumper should be a simple 2x4 box tube. Maybe some oval LED tail lights and be done.

More importantly, I ordered the new replacement top last night.

I'm curious if I'm gonna want/need to add a locker too.......

Cripes, I thought this wast just another flipper. How are you ever going to get the MJ's done?

LOL. Yeah ultimately it is a flipper. Not going nuts on it.

Just another example of my raging vehicular A.D.D. out of control....:D

no harrassment from me... if I were planning on actual wheeling/crawling again, it would likely be in something very similar. Fun stuff.

Hmmm. Might be perfect for my commute to work if I could fit in one. How do you fair in there Yella. I need to find something like that.

LOL..... how do I fair in the Sami? What are you implying there pee-wee? :laugh:

Surprisingly, my big self fits a whole lot more comfortably than I thought. I admit, I probably look a bit funny in it..... but the guy I bought it from had easily 80-100 lbs on me and I wondered the same...... "He must be selling it 'cause he don't fit no mo." :gag:

I only drove it around the automotive complex and thru a neighborhood, but I dunno how anyone makes a DD out of one of these when lifted and with larger tires. Underpowered is an understatement........ but then again, I don't own anything with less than 190 hp and I routinely drive a truck with 350+ and the SRT8 with 470 so this little 100 hp 4-popper 1.8L on stock gears seems pretty anemic. I wouldn't want to DD this on the highway..... but it IS torquey. Lots of low end grunt when in 4-low. Damn near pissed myself when I drove it onto the trailer. I didn't use the ramps intentionally so I could test the hubs and 4x4. It pushed against the trailer hard before suddenly popping straight up in a wheelie until the back tires hit the trailer...... :shhh:

The previous owner claims 18-22 mpg in it's current configuration. :dunno:

Last edited:
And parts rig.

IMG_20150822_170536621_zpsxrqqyby5.jpg

Runs and drives but trans and tcase are sloppy, birfields are leaking and body is beat and rusty.

What it DOES have:
-Amazing roll cage
-Nice doors to make half doors with
-True high steer with aftermarket steering arm
-Ford F150 front shock towers
-Good tires and wheels
-Brand new bikini top
-New marine grade stereo with Pioneer speakers
-CB
-Home brew OBA using A/C compressor and small tank
-Rock lights
-Tow bar

Extras it came with:
-Tcase
-OEM brush guard
-Nice replacement grill & bezels
-Various trail spares
-Builder engine with supposed "expensive" Webber carb

IMG_20150822_170831903_HDR_zpsccn6vpuv.jpg

IMG_20150822_170844282_HDR_zps9oncsx2d.jpg

IMG_20150822_171014172_HDR_zps5ypbujzy.jpg

IMG_20150822_171258711_HDR_zpsqurai2qq.jpg

IMG_20150822_170546923_zpsajktakxe.jpg

IMG_20150822_170717403_zpsblnhojp7.jpg

LOL! Kevin brings the phunnay.......:thumbup:

Think I'll have to have that playing on the stereo..... if I ever get it on the trail.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back