• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning radius uneven

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
1992 4.0 AX-15
Stock steering box

Installed some WJ lower control arms and noticed for the first time I can turn left WAAAAAAAY more than right. Not enough to were its hurting anything but figured I'd ask to see if there is an easy fix? I cannot remember if the gearbox is keyed or not been awhile.

Is your steering wheel straight? If not, I would suspect something with your trac bar.

Steering out of adjustment? Stock steering? Aftermarket? Steering stops adjusted? If stock steering, pending the steering stabilizer might be the culprit of your right turn issue.
When I installed my new to me currie steering, which also came with a stabilizer and adjustable mount on the drag link side. I initially didn't think anything of it and had not adjusted it and I could only turn so far right. Adjusted it and all was good.
The problem with stock steering, is that the length of mounting is not adjustable, unless maybe get an after market mount. But better steering would help.

Stock steering box

I just never noticed it until I got the larger tires and WJ control arms. No rubbing at full lock to the right but left I'm getting it. After that I noticed I can turn the wheel almost a full turn more to the left.

Probably your stabilizer then. If you have someone to help it will be slightly easier, but just have the vehicle running in park, and turn the wheel all the way to the right. Most likely your stabilizer will be at max compression. Do the same to the left, I guess you can measure if you really care that much.

Back