• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ (for the girl) and a few issues (oil pressure and steering)

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. A bit embarrassed I have to ask such a simple question after beating and building my rig for 8 years, but the 4.0L short block is just one of those few things I've never had to delve into.

Picked up a 2000xj for the girl yesterday after she forgot to put oil in her civic. Took it for a short test drive, made sure it was up to temp. Drove good, pulled strong, no strange noises. Suspension was completely beat which I thought was a bit odd as the owner had clearly babied the shit outta it from the day he bought it (second owner, had it for 10 years).

Guy was asking a bit much for it considering the entire suspension needed to be replaced, and all the u-joints were done (bone stock), but the body/uni/interior all looked to be near mint. I told him I couldn't offer what he was asking and made him an offer. We shot the shit for a bit and he told me he'd had the same offer made by an older lady. I told him that even if he doesn't give it to me for what I'd offered him, he really shouldn't sell it to an old lady as it was a bit of a death trap until the suspension/steering and u-joints had been done (I certainly wouldn't have sold it to anyone who didn't know Jeeps). After a bit more discussion, he agreed to $100 more than I'd offered. I took it. Went to do the paperwork and came back and he decided to give it to me for the price I'd offered. All this together, I figure he's a good guy and honestly didn't know anything was wrong with it. As we were making the exchange, he mentioned that he'd seen the CEL come on once in a while recently when the Jeep came to a stop after driving for a bit. I asked if the oil pressure dropped to 0 at the same time, he didn't know, I pointed out the gauge and he confirmed that yes, it was always on the left when the CEL came on.

I just say all that because I usually find that history and backstory is very often helpful in diagnoses.

On to the problem. Took the Jeep home and noticed the OP dropping off once it was hot. No noise from the engine/valvetrain that I could hear and it was still making lots of power. Thing nearly keeps up with my v8 XJ once it gets going, which seems about right for a stocker with small shoes.

Had to pick up some stuff from across the border so I took the new XJ for a drive to get a feel for it, and found the following:

1. Steering wants to pull on every little bump or curve in the road. Feels like REALLY bad caster in combination with a bit of a tow out. As the guy clearly hadn't worked on the vehicle before, I figure this issue must have been present for a while, but the tires look like they're wearing normally. When we replaced the front coils and shocks with some 2" lift, the issue remains. Steering feels tight. Almost too tight (like a toe out would) but the toe is actually in 1/2". Can a toe in that severe cause it to pull like a toe out? Checked everything in the front end and aside from some real rough lower control arm bushings, everything is tight. Had to cut off the track bar on both ends because everything was seized and all the bolts broke.
2. I added a liter of 10w30 as it was a touch low on oil, as well as a quarter can of sea foam, thinking it may clean up an oil passage or maybe the low OP was just the sensor packed with gunk. After adding the oil and driving it this morning, it's ticking like a mofo. Got it nearly up to temp and the ticking was still there, but the OP seems (so far) to be staying up about normal.

The drive to the border was annoying because I'd have to keep the RPM's up every time I stopped to keep that OP gauge out of the red. At idle (500ish RPM) the OP would drop off and the cel would come on. At 1000RPM, the OP would be around 10psi or so, and at cruise it'd be about normal. After adding the 10w30 and sea foam, OP looks normal but really sounds like a LOT of lifter ticking. I've heard guys say this can happen when switching oils, but everyone of course has a different story. Some guys say a thinner oil fixes it while others say it makes it worse. The oil that was in there before looked like 5w30 and mostly clean.

I REALLY don't feel like doing a rebuild or swap right now. I went out of my way to find something with a decent motor/driveline so I would't have to work on it this week, but the girl needs a truck ASAP for work. I've got a spare i6 long block from my 98 (v8 swap), which always ran strong but seemed to be eating a bit of coolant, but I never figured out why. It has a nearly brand new head on it, but I'm not super confident that it doesn't have a cracked cylinder in the block.

Thoughts/idea's?

It would be logical to assume that the suspension, bushings, and steering are shot and need a complete overhaul. Ball joints should also be suspected. 1/2" toe is way too much, 1/16" to 1/8" toe-in is where I would set it. Not sure which sway bar you are referring to, but it should have a front sway bar connected when driven on pavement.

First, confirm the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Oil is oil, I run 10w-40 for summer and 5w-30 for winter, whatever brand is on sale. With the 0331 head, and unknown maintenance history, you have to suspect the head. Monitor coolant levels and send out an oil sample for testing at BlackStone Labs.

Last edited:
Yea, I am assuming SOMETHING is wrong in the suspension :p. Trying to figure out what. I'm usually of the mind that when you have an unknown problem and have KNOWN broken parts, fix those parts first to rule them out. The lower control arm bushings are an obvious one, but when I measure the caster, it looks pretty bang on. I've certainly run MUCH MORE and MUCH LESS caster without any issues. Also, it does self center pretty well for most of the range. It's just within' a few degrees from centre that the steering starts getting tight, and wanders all over the place. The previous owner said they'd recently had the pitman arm replaced, which has me a bit suspicious. I'd hazard to guess that he paid a shop to troubleshoot and fix something, and up here, shops are worse than useless. They're all dodgy/scammy. The pitman is definitely not new.

As for the oil, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on based on what we know. No valvetrain noise, but low OP before adding the 10w30 and seafoam. Valvetrain noise after, but OP is good.

Plan is to do a proper oil flush and change today, as well as check OP with a mechanical gauge, but I want to put a few miles on it before flushing out the sea foam. I'm sure someone will read this and just have the exact answer (thus the backstory).

Head seems good. Coolant and oil both look coolanty and oily with no hint of mixing. I know ALL ABOUT cracked heads :).

My 98 has 230,000 miles and makes some ticking/tapping noises at cold start. Oil pressure is 15-25 at idle and 40-50 at speed, and the noises go way after warm up, so I just ignore them.

To me, it's a vehicle for the kid, and it should be 100% safe. I would just replace anything steering/suspension that even looked at me funny.

Last edited:
My 98 has 230,000 miles and makes some ticking/tapping noises at cold start. Oil pressure is 15-25 at idle and 40-50 at speed, and the noises go way after warm up, so I just ignore them.

To me, it's a vehicle for the kid, and it should be 100% safe. I would just replace anything steering/suspension that even looked at me funny.

Oh yea. Everything in the suspension is getting replaced except for the draglink/tierod and ends. Actually, I think the BJ's are good as well but I'll give them a more thorough check today.

I think the wandering steering is going to back caster. I didn't measure until after we'd put the new coils on, but the rear is still sagged right out to the bump stops :). Given my caster angle is good on the front, while the entire Jeep is gangsta-leaned, I'm goona assume that the lower control arm bushings are completely pooched and the axle has 0 or negative caster, but just doesn't measure that way due to the gangsta-lean.
That solves the suspension anyhow. Should be able to find new lowers tonight.

Why don't I have a mechanical OP gauge anywhere in my arsenal yet? FUUUU.

I'm thinking the sea foam cleaned something out and got it stuck somewhere else, thus the new tick in the top end. At least, that's what I'm hoping. Is the OP sending unit between the pump and the head? I figure if so, I may have moved some sludge further up past the sending unit and now getting poor delivery to the lifters/valves.

Last edited:
Refresh the suspension and steering, then have the alignment checked at a shop. Either the symptoms are fixed, or you need to keep looking. With a whole pile of worn/suspect parts, there isn't much point in speculating which one is the culprit. With everything fresh and tight, diagnostics, if required, will be much easier.

Refresh the suspension and steering, then have the alignment checked at a shop. Either the symptoms are fixed, or you need to keep looking. With a whole pile of worn/suspect parts, there isn't much point in speculating which one is the culprit. With everything fresh and tight, diagnostics, if required, will be much easier.

Hahahaha. **** the shops! Not a chance. I've never had a shop do the job they charged me for. I hear it's much different in the US, but up here, everyone is completely incompetent. This previous owner of this Jeep just had it in the shop for steering related issues. They claimed the issue was the pitman arm and claimed to have replaced it (this was about 500km ago). There is absolutely no chance they replaced the pitman, nor do the symptoms even HINT at a bad pitman. $700 later and they did absolutely nothing. The pitman is clearly the stock original part, completely caked in nearly 20 years of oil. The cotter pin to the drag link rod fell apart when I tried to remove it. Didn't even need pliers :).

New LCA's will be here in a few hours. I suspect that'll clean things up. I know Jeep suspension far better than I ever wanted to. Take your car in for a full wheel alignment and they MIGHT set your toe (usually incorrectly). It's painful, but ultimately it forces us to either drive beaters or know our vehicles as good as the engineers who designed them :p. Hell, I took the girl's civic in for an alignment last year (only because I really didn't feel like doing it at the time). Before bringing it in, I marked every possible adjustment with white paint. $150 and a day later, I got it back. Every mark was still perfectly lined up, no evidence of anything being adjusted whatsoever. They told me they had to adjust caster, camber, and toe and that it was all way out of spec. Before I left the shop, I looked at my marks, showed them my marks, and called them on it. They told me those were factory marks (yea, 25 year old white paint marks...). I refused to pay and they threatened to call the police :p. They of course didn't, and I just drove home and did the alignment myself, as always.

Seriously, we have the dodgiest shops I've ever heard of. Quote for a rear brake line for my 79 eagle was over $1000 from 3 different brake shops. Did it myself for $8 in about 20 minutes, and that includes the time it took me to learn how to bend and flare lines.

Started the Jeep back up again and got it up to temp again. This time no tapping/ticking, and OP did drop but didn't flatline. Must've knocked something loose. Going to pick up some oil and a filter. Will also drop the pan to inspect the pump/pickup.

Low oil pressure on a 0331 is usually result of prolonged running w a cracked head. If that happens its time for a new engine. Test to make sure the sensor is not at fault first.

Suspension, meh, mine was done for around 290,000-300,000 miles. I was amazed it lasted that long, and replaced it all. Drives nice and new now.

Yea, I foolishly didn't check the sensor first. Had the pan back off today cause the rear didn't seal (Have I mentioned I hate 96+ xj's?). Pulled it all back apart, did the rear main since I was in there, and stuck a new pan gasket on. While waiting for RTV to set, I pulled the oil sender. The sender is clearly brand new, installed by dealer. They forgot to tighten the elbow *sigh*, and there was a bit of sludge in the sender. Tightened the elbow and blew out the sender. Waiting a bit more before dumping oil in, to let the RTV set. I really don't wanna do this again tomorrow :).

Should have asked the owner if he changed the oil himself or went to a quickie lube?
Many Quickie lube places put the wrong oil in & it's usually the 5W20 or 0W20 stuff the newer Jap cars use, also they use the crappiest filters available.
+ the Seafoam you added could have really thinned out whatever was in there.
I'd change the oil/Filter ASAP if it was my Jeep.
6-7 years ago a buddy had the same problem in his 92 Wrangler (200+ on the ODO), He always used a local quickie lube place for his OC, then one day after an oil Change he took a long highway drive, When he stopped for gas his CEL came on & he noticed his oil pressure near "0".
When he got home he changed the oil to 10W30 Rotella with a wix filter & the oil pressure gauge stopped dropping to near Zero & No more CEL. Today the Pressure is still not great, it drops to 10PSI @ idle, but the engine is still going strong & does not require adding oil between changes (5K OCI).
Good Luck!

I did change the oil, twice.

When I first picked it up, I threw some some sea foam and a liter of 10w30, changed the pan gasket and oil (and new napa gold filter), cleaned the pickup and inspected the pump, then the ticking started.
Oil pressure still dropped off to 0 after warming up and coming back to idle.

Did the pan again. This time I also did the rear main seal and inspected all the rod bearings for tolerances (all good and no signs of wear). Found the OP sender elbow wasn't even finger tight, so pulled, cleaned, re-installed correctly (way to go dealership shop) and once again, stuffed it all back together and threw in some more non-synthetic 10w30. Still ticks and the OP was dropping before I got fully up to operating temp. I don't believe I've solved the OP issue, and the ticking is still there. Really sounds like lifter tick but I can't think of any reason why changing the oil and a bit of sea foam would cause it to start ticking.

I'll try to track down a manual OP gauge today to verify the OP is actually low when warm. Rockers do seem to be getting good delivery, Cam bearings felt okay (yea, I gave it a shake from below while I was in there). Ticking sounds like all cylinders. Roughly 5 ticks per second which works out to 500rpm (very roughly).

It's just weird that this motor starts and runs so well, but is ticking like my 90 did with 650,000km on it. The 90 also had no OP when warm and I decided to just run it till it died, but it never did. 80,000km later it was still pulling strong and getting >20mpg.

Ha. No. Bit do know what's going on. 0331 head crack. Isn't big, but its there. Time for a new motor or a rebuild.
Steering I still haven't figured out. Went through everything with a fine tooth comb, replaced bjs, alignment is perfect. Suspect either bad steering gear or bad tires.

Back