• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought an MJ (rear axle help)

oldmemories

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just purchased a 91 MJ 2wD with 4.0 HO with 67,000 miles. I'm just waiting to pick it up from my step dads house. My main question is whats best as far as SOA or SUA? I have a Super 35 with arb and 4.10 gears basically brand new from my 97 XJ. I want to bolt it in before winter. From what i read it sounds like SUA is stronger...I have tried looking so don't get mad if there is a post somewhere with this info, please guide me in the right direction. If SUA is better do i have to relocate the shock mounts? Keep in mind i do not want to do a crazy lift at most 4". So if i go SOA im pushing it. Thanks

Stay SUA. To use an XJ axle, you will need to cut off leaf perches, and spring mounts. I would guess your MJ has a Turdy5 already? Weld on new leaf perches to new axle and use your existing MJ leaf plates to mount your shocks as in stock.

thanks again. also since I'm going to have to reweld the mounts, would it be a good idea to shift the axle to give the driveshaft and axle better alignment?

Soa will put you at 5-7" depending on what you do. Stay under

seriously truck is amazing other than the rust. with 67,000 miles engine ran great. drove it 5 hrs straight around 80mph. just hoping i can fix the rust under the doors. thats the only bad spot under body is pretty good.

the cab corners and pinch seam is a vulnerable area.
You're talking about lifting it and wheeling it right?

cab corners are not available. Cut it all out and do 2x6 rockers.

If there's rust in the floor pans cut it out, check the inside of the unibody rails for rust. do rust prevention in there or it will break in half.

for perches you can go right down to the chrysler dealership and buy mopar performance perches. They fit well SUA, and are cheap. The last set I bought was like $10 for the pair.

nice. thanks for the tips. if im lucky and i find a comanche that i can cut up can i just weld in the corners? do you have pics of the rocker setup? thx

nice. thanks for the tips. if im lucky and i find a comanche that i can cut up can i just weld in the corners? do you have pics of the rocker setup? thx

anything up here will be rusty just like yours.

if you go south you will find rust free, but then the whole thing will be rust free and I will find you and kick you in the taint for cutting up a rust free cab.

go to mod tech and search for 2x6 rocker replacement.

a guy on Comanche club is junking his and its been ripped apart and its corners are mint. i would never ruin a jeep, how dare you sir lol. thx

Seriously what a pain in the ass. Hot as funk out here in chicago!! Drivers seat bolts rusted i mean welded on. Took forever but i did save the threads. Looking into finding a body shop to rid me of the rust. Plan on doing rockers as well since both sides are toast, more so on drivers side. Ordered Rusty's 3" add a leaf kit and new spring perches. Also picked up complete WJ brake conversion with the addition of WJ LCA and UCA. Just need 1997 jeep grand cherokee TSI edition rims and tires and ill be set....and maybe Zj dragling and tie rod..

I wouldn't waste time with the WJ uppers. Get a decent set of adjustable uppers so you can adjust caster and pinion angle easier than using the factory shims in the LCA's.

TRE's are the same taper. Uings your stock steering you will probably need a drop pitman arm to have correct steering angles.

Tie rod ends or tie rod? No you can't use the tie rod.
Sounds like he is asking if the MJ steering will work, short answer.. yes.

Back