• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Renix Lighting Failure

Nacho-1990

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on my steering column today, once I got everything wrapped up I headed out and noticed my dash lights were out. I figured I blew the fuse, but after that checked OK I noticed the parking lights and tail lights were also out.

The driving lights, fog lights, and brake lights work fine, but everything that should come on at the first position on the light switch is out. Is there something that could cause just this portion to fail?

Thanks

1990 Renix Limited, 4.0, AW4

I had this issue on my '89. A wire that feeds those items had melted/deformed on the top of the headlight switch. I was able to clean it up and put it back in place. Really need to replace it but it got it going again.

Do all your accessories work.. radio, turn signals, wipers ect.. could be an issue with your ignition switch mounted on your column.

it's not.
parking/stop/dome lights have their own fusible link that powers them in the fuse block.
if it's just the parking lamps it is very likely that it's in the headlamp switch or directly related to the wiring to/from it.
There is a parking lamp fuse in the fuse block. Start there.
If it's popped, and you have a clock, unplug the clock, replace fuse and try again. if it still pops then you have a short in the dark blue wires going to the parking lamps/license plate lights or a short under the dash on the red/blu wire going from the fuseblock to the headlamp switch.

It may not be related but on my '90, I had a problem where one of the rear signal lights wouldn't work. I had been working on the column as well. The issue turned out to be that one side of the wide flat connector that connects the ignition switch to the wiring harness had pulled loose. Easy thing to check and equally easy to miss. Unfortunately for me, I completely disassembled the left rear interior to check EVERYTHING else first ;-(. Its worth double checking because I found that the connector on the '90 doesn't lock together very well.

HTH
Todd

Do all your accessories work.. radio, turn signals, wipers ect.. could be an issue with your ignition switch mounted on your column.

Wait, why would the ignition switch affect the parking and tail lights? They work independent of the ignition switch. The radio wipers and turn signals still all work with the ignition on.

OK, I sorted it out. It was a bad fuse that looked good upon my initial inspection. The lower part of the Z broke, not the middle as is usual.

I hate it when it takes you 3 hours to find a bad fuse. :dunce:

Back