• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clarification of Coolant sender and sensor

2WDNICK

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 95 XJ, I have a sensor for the computer on the thermostat housing and ive got a sender for my aftermarket temp gauge on the head by the firewall.
After 1996 where is the temp sender for the gauge go?
Is the sensor on the thermostat housing after 1996 for the temp gauge and the computer?
Ive seen a tee installed on the thermostat housing for the sensor and the sender but it doesnt look like they sit low enough into the flow of coolant.

Thanks.

The place that is going to be the closest to the computer sensor is in the thermostat housing. There is a little flat spot right on the front of it, drill and tap there. There's also a block drain plug on the drivers side of the engine under the manifold, below the freeze plugs, but the wire will melt from the exhaust heat.

The place that is going to be the closest to the computer sensor is in the thermostat housing. There is a little flat spot right on the front of it, drill and tap there. There's also a block drain plug on the drivers side of the engine under the manifold, below the freeze plugs, but the wire will melt from the exhaust heat.

To the OP, if you don't like drilling and tapping, you can purchase this as well:http://www.hesco.us/products/7969/t...hi-flow-thermostat-housing-hfth2#.VbkKu_lVhBc

Exactly the same as the suggestion above, comes with a 1/8" NPT hole for a 2nd sensor, on the flat spot. - Just an FYI, I used this on a previous Wrangler, and had to elbow out 90 degrees, and install the new sensor in the elbow due to clearance at the fan shroud.

Will the sensor stick far enough into the stream of water to get an accurate reading from the stock Thermostat housing?

Would that high flow housing cause any bottleneck if your not using anything else on the cooling system that is not high flow?

Back