• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe carseat installation

Drtboy45

NAXJA Forum User
How are you guys safely installing high back boosters in your XJ? There is no neck support/headrest in case of an accident.

Just a thought.., install a cage wall divider, and tie some type of suitable, and attractive soft/firm bumper material to it, i.e., resting on the top of the rear seat.., and thusly secured said bumper(s) will remain in place. Cage will also keep 'flying materials' from going forward into the back of heads in such a collision, etc. Inventiveness will allow cage wall to be lowered flat if need be, or should the rear seat be folded up secondary attachment points could be so positioned as to rest up against folded rear seat.., as per the idea of keeping flying stuff in the cargo area. Many do the cage thing for their dogs too. Some make 'em.., and some buy 'em. Look around. Happy Trails.

You don't say what year your Jeep is, but some of the late models (my 2001 does) have the LATCH system in the ceiling just in front of the lift gate. For my 6 year old, I still use the highback seat, but with the LATCH hooked up, that seat is basically glued into place. It doesn't move.

My 9 year old, who is almost 5 foot tall, just sits in a backless booster - and she's been fine.

I have a 98. I called the dealer about the TSB that's out for Cherokees which the dealer sells a kit to add the ring on the back of the seat for the car seat strap. I will probably go ahead and get that. I was also looking into taking the headrest assy off the back seats of a ZJ and transferring them to my jeep. I already got screwed on this jeep so I may as well keep truckin on it to make it both reliable and safe

Thanks guys

I doubt they are unsafe as they are. As a matter of fact, we have a hard time getting the high back seats in place in both our ZJ and WJ, so we took the headrests out of them.

Back