• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Question.

Chasjr1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to convert my 2000 from a 231 to a 242 for the full time 4wd capability. I have found a transfer case that is marked as a New Venture 242J. Made 12-08-98. It appears this is a compatible match. It will be rebuilt with a sye kit, and freshened up inside.

Can anyone tell me if this is a correct match. I'll gather the shift gate and bezel later.

I could be wrong but IIRC there isn't an SYE made for the 242.

Otherwise, yes the case you found is acceptable.

I thought Tom Woods made one. Either way (Tom Woods or HnT), it will be pretty simple since I'm going to tear it apart and recondition it. Plus I know a machinist. The HnT cutting and threading will be pretty simple.

The 242 was only used on the XJ, ZJ, and WJ jeeps. If they are from the same era (95-down and 96-up) then they are 99% the same. Worst case you might have to swap the input shaft if the transmission was different, or change a yoke from CV style to u-joint style, or something like that.

The 242 was only used on the XJ, ZJ, and WJ jeeps. If they are from the same era (95-down and 96-up) then they are 99% the same. Worst case you might have to swap the input shaft if the transmission was different, or change a yoke from CV style to u-joint style, or something like that.

That's what I've learned. The tags say '98, my XJ is a 2000. My only major issue now seems to be the rear retainer. My XJ has the VSS there. The donor I bought has a place for it, but isn't machined out (plus IDK if the output shaft has the gear cut). I'm pretty sure I can get these issues taken care of.

That's what I've learned. The tags say '98, my XJ is a 2000. My only major issue now seems to be the rear retainer. My XJ has the VSS there. The donor I bought has a place for it, but isn't machined out (plus IDK if the output shaft has the gear cut). I'm pretty sure I can get these issues taken care of.
All XJs had the speedo output in the transfer case, so yours is from a ZJ or WJ

What is stamped on the red tag? I have a parts unit that says 242-WJ

As Digger said, you will replace the tail housing anyway

Yes. It appears to be off a WJ. So now, it appears I'll need to find an XJ rear retainer if I just swap it across for now. Or have it machined. The main reason for the SYE was for a future lift.

The one from your 231 may bolt on. Count the bolts and check the pattern. You would need to remove the slinger, rear output seal, couple of snap rings

Does that 242-WJ have a u-joint yoke for the front output? Mine has a CV yoke

Just remembered, you'll probably need to change the shifter tab on the 242-WJ, since its setup for inverse throw.

Thanks for the tip. You answered a question I've been wondering about since looking through my MY 2000 Parts Catalog and seeing a different tab than the one on my TC.

For the tab, you should really look into buying the Boostwerks linkage, it really simplifies things down there. You won't need another tab either, since the kit comes with one. http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/242-HD-Shift-Linkage-Auto-Trans-_p_27.html

The indicator switch on your 242-WJ is different from the one that is used with the XJ. You will need to replace that, and you will also need to find the jumper sub-harness for your year--might be able to get to get one from the dealer otherwise you'll have to find an XJ 242 in the junkyard or in a part-out.

Also I just swapped the 242-WJ differential into my XJ case (old-style main shaft) and a couple of other parts, everything went over fine

Back