• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission and Drive Train issues

MAP_Mason

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I have a 1996 Jeep Laredo. So it has a 4.0L inline 6 engine, 4WD as well as 2WD ( due to trac selector), and has the 42RE transmission (which means its electronically controlled). So the first problem is the transmission, the transmission does not start in first gear. I've replaced the solenoids and the transmission cable above the transmission, I'm thinking my next step would be to adjust the bands, but would like feed back on this. As for the drive train I had put the trac selector into 4WD drive full time, and had driven it for roughly 30 minutes when the front axel started smoking, the smoke smelled like gear oil. Any suggestions on this. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what's up with your transmission, but you definitely need to pull the diff cover off the front end and see what's going on. My guess is that it's either nearly dry, or a sludgefest inside. I wouldn't drive it until you've figured it out. Smoke = heat = fire.

First off I'd bet you have an AW4
It's NOT supposed to start in first gear.
You can't adjust the bands
If you're driving in LA take it out of 4wd.
Of course the front end smoking would smell like gear oil, everything else is metal. Gear oil is the only thing that would "burn".

Unless of course this is just "bait".

f25d2f82a770b7ac5cd52f82544ec68a.jpg

As you can see there is the option to have 2WD and 4WD as well as it having the ability to start in 1st gear

The trac selector is on the left and the gear selector is on the right

I think he's asking where does it say 'start in 1st gear'?

So you have a 242 t-case. Regular driving you should be doing in 2wd, for the most part. It doesn't do you a bit of good driving in 4wd around town and on the freeway...except maybe to reduce your MPG.

I think he's asking where does it say 'start in 1st gear'?

So you have a 242 t-case. Regular driving you should be doing in 2wd, for the most part. It doesn't do you a bit of good driving in 4wd around town and on the freeway...except maybe to reduce your MPG.
At any rate it has started in 1st before and now it doesn't any thoughts?

By "start" in first gear, I presume you mean that with the selector on 1, the car doesn't move? What does happen? Does the engine rev appropriately? Do the rest of the selector positions function correctly?
I'm thinking that the selector is out of adjustment.

By "start" in first gear, I presume you mean that with the selector on 1, the car doesn't move? What does happen? Does the engine rev appropriately? Do the rest of the selector positions function correctly?
I'm thinking that the selector is out of adjustment.
What I mean is when putting the car in drive it goes only into 2nd gear when putting the car in the first gear selector it starts in 1st gear

Back