• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motorcycle oil in AX15?

syncromesh or redline mt90, i had terrible luck using regular synthetic motor oils...
njud34b.jpg

Hello from the west!

Actually we do not have syncromesh or redline MT90 in our market ... I asked this because somebody told me that motorcycle oils generally have better quality and some additives to help the friction in motorcycle engine and trannies ....

Hello from the mid east XCM :)

The problem is that there are metals in the transmission that do not deal well with the wrong type of oil and using the wrong oil can destroy the transmission. If you do a search on here you will find tons of threads about this.

I am planing to change my AX15's oil ... last time i changed the gear oil with 5w-30 synthetic motor oil and had no problem. Yesterday i found this in a local shop :

http://www.top1oil.com/USA/products/motorcycle/evolution-moto.htm

What you think ?

I mean the 10w-30 one with motorcycle oil specs would work better in our transmissions or not ?

Do you have access to Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-Synchromax-Performance-Transmission/dp/B001DKTG0G/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1437586382&sr=1-2&keywords=syncromesh

I've tried expensive full synthetic trans fluid but it's hard to find on a ISLAND so I've had great luck with Napa brand 85-90 wt and adding Lucas oil additive it's made the world of difference in my 95.
Hope that helps

if it's GL-5 it's going to destroy the synchros.

the issue with regular gear oil is not a viscosity one, it's the sulphur in a GL-5 oil that destroys the yellow metals inside the trans.

OP,
whatever you can find just make sure it's yellow metal safe, and somewhere in the rigth viscosity range.
if you can find some GL-3 rated gear oils that would be nice. Check into hydraulic and tractor shops.
hydraulic oils could be substituted.
make sure there are no EP or sulphur additives.

The photo posted above was what happened after i read the COUNTLESS comments on naxja saying to run synthetic motor oil. After the rebuild, i researched trying to find a non-gl5 syn motor oil, and IIRC, i never found any. penzoil Syncromesh is what i ended up using. I would advise you do whatever the hell you can to find a suitable fluid. Replacing synchros aint cheap.

The photo posted above was what happened after i read the COUNTLESS comments on naxja saying to run synthetic motor oil. After the rebuild, i researched trying to find a non-gl5 syn motor oil, and IIRC, i never found any. penzoil Syncromesh is what i ended up using. I would advise you do whatever the hell you can to find a suitable fluid. Replacing synchros aint cheap.

I put syncromesh in the last one.

it seems to be 95% of the performance of MT 90 at half the cost. it's been 12K miles, no ill effects yet.

MT90 is the undisputed king for cold weather AX-15 shifting. It's magic.

Thanks guys

As i said last time i used 5w-30 engine oil and had no problem .

The only thing i want to know is anyone ever tried motorcycle engine oils in AX15 ?

Refer to my searches they have better quality and they can use in motorcycles for engine and transmission both! They are yellow metal friendly .

I bought this yesterday:

http://www.top1oil.com/USA/products/motorcycle/evolution-moto.htm

I want to try it and think there is nothing wrong with the oil specs .Will let you know the result ! Poor my AX15 :)

GL3 was superceded by GL4, GL4 is also safe for and Aisin AX4, 5, 15 trans.

There is also some GL5's now that have metal modifiers to prevent metal wear with brass Synchros. But I ain't chancing that.

Back