• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard shifting when hot-clutch dragging?

JeffDeWitt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm afraid I don't come here all that often but when I do you guys seem to be the real experts.

I've got a bone stock 96 Cherokee, 2wd, 4.0 5 speed, best car I've ever had, after 17 years and well over half a million miles I still love driving the thing.

OK, my question. For a long time it's given me a hard time shifting when hot, sometimes when sitting with the engine idling it can be almost impossible to put in in reverse.

Sometimes it would help if I pumped the clutch pedal, so I replaced the clutch master and slave assembly. The pedal feels better and it no longer pumps up, bu the problem remains.

Quite a while ago I had the clutch replaced, and it seems like the problem developed sometime after that. I'm wondering if they resurfaced the flywheel, which I understand is a big no no on these vehicles.

I've heard one "fix" to deal with that is to extend the clutch slave cylinder rod, have any of you guys tried anything like that? If so how did you do it? What about using a welder to add a bit of material to the tip of the rod?

Thanks!

Back