• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C going & coming

Sluder

NAXJA Forum User
A/C very cold when it works. At first, it would blow cold in dash vents but then change to defrost vents without notice and then back to dash later. Air would be cold then just room temp. I learned that the plastic ball in the front bumper I had removed, while installing a winch bumper, has something to do with vacuum and controlling the vent controls. I hooked it back to rubber hose. Air stays on dash now but but still having trouble with A/C blowing cold one minute then blowing warm. At first idle, it usually blows cold but after driving for a few miles goes warm. It comes and goes randomly.

What's the deal????

Intermittent cold and hot is often the clutch plate wearing down. When the clutch plate wears enough the A/C compressor no longer reliably engages. You can remove the clutch plate and remove a shin or two and it usually resolves the problem. By the time the clutch plate wears down your compressor may be worn and you might benefit from a new one.

Intermittent cold and hot is often the clutch plate wearing down. When the clutch plate wears enough the A/C compressor no longer reliably engages. You can remove the clutch plate and remove a shin or two and it usually resolves the problem. By the time the clutch plate wears down your compressor may be worn and you might benefit from a new one.

Most likely culprit is the clutch plate, but you can also look at the blend door as well.

I just went through this with a coworker's Saturn - surprisingly easy to do...one shim out and cold air constantly again.

Back