• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does error code P1400 mean

mikerhyne

NAXJA Member # 1375
My 98 XJ check engine light came on today and my reader says it's P1400. So what is that? Might be time to spring for an FSM.

Sorry but there's no p1400 for a 98 xj... try a different reader or go to the parts store and have them do it.

Yes, get the code read by a shop or a different, better scanner...and in the future...

Google is your friend as far as codes go. Usually if you Google something like "Jeep Cherokee P0xxx" entering the code you get as well as the vehicle, you'll get not only WHAT the code is but HOW to fix it.

Pretty much works with any OBDII vehicle. Then if you are doing the work it gives you a starting point, if you're taking it to a shop at least you have some idea what to be looking for.

I believe on a 98 you can manually get the code to pop up on the odometer by turning the key to the start position and off 4 or six times.

Turns out it was a P1493 and I can find that code via Google and how to potentially fix it.

Thanks!

Seriously? 5 seconds on Google

It's a battery temp sensor code.

Did you not read my post? "Turns out it was a P1493 and I can find that code via Google and how to potentially fix it." So yes I now have the correct error code. Yes I know how to use Google. Since it is a good code I know what it is.

In your first post in this thread you were rude because I could not find P1400 - are you able to? Do you have some searching ability that I need to be aware of? Seems like you need to chill out and focus on being helpful to people.

Did you not read my post? "Turns out it was a P1493 and I can find that code via Google and how to potentially fix it." So yes I now have the correct error code. Yes I know how to use Google. Since it is a good code I know what it is.

In your first post in this thread you were rude because I could not find P1400 - are you able to? Do you have some searching ability that I need to be aware of? Seems like you need to chill out and focus on being helpful to people.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't rude in my first post, however I WAS rude in my third post because I honestly mis-read your post to say that "I can't find the code".

Please look over my post history and see how rude I have been in my 2500+ posts. I have been nothing but helpful in the 9 years of posting on this forum.

Hope you got it fixed.

Last edited:
ParadiseXJ,

No worries and I was rude in calling you out as I should have just let it roll of my back. I apologize for that!

Yes it's is all fixed. When I replaced the alternator the battery sensor wire got kinked and wore through the wire. Easy and quick fix. Now on to the bigger upgrades/repairs and wheeling.

Back