• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Brake Bleed- all but LF

crmerrill

NAXJA Forum User
Been sitting for a few years and was time for a good brake fluid flush. I pump-bled the brakes started RR, LR, RF, and finally LF. All but the LF bled quite well, no air, just dirty fluid. LF caliper didn't release any fluid at all. It got late and the mosquito hordes were en force, so I haven't investigated any further. Any thoughts on where I should start looking?

I did swap an 8.8 with discs in the rear and plan on swapping out the guts with a ZJ 4 disc proportioning valve. Rear brake calipers bled fine, problem is only with the front driver's side caliper.

Thanks a bunch!

I haven't messed with the proportioning valve yet

I will take out the bleed screw today and post results. My thought was just to work my way north, bleed screw, brake line on caliper, then hard line, then p-valve, then M/C to see where the fluid starts to run.

Any other suggestions or things to look for when I get in there?

Took out the bleed screw and nothing- pumped brakes and no fluid came out. Seems like there's some fluid in the caliper, but definitely no pressure. The soft line has a cut in the rubber, but again, no leaking. I'll look for replacement lines and swap it out. Fingers crossed the blockage is in the line.

Thanks for the help- feel free to throw out anything else I may be missing or would be helpful to consider.

Will update once I get the new line in.

Does this thing have ABS? If so, check the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit, the boxy thing with all the lines running out of it.) Sometimes the valves and solenoids in those things will get stuck and/or sticky, resulting in you being unable to build pressure in that brake circuit. Easy enough to check for, just swap the RF and LF outlet lines. If the LF now bleeds fine with plenty of pressure, but the RF does not, you've probably got a dump valve in the HCU that's stuck open.

Worked my way up, no fluid at banjo, nothing at hard/soft line connection and no fluid at the proportioning valve. There is definitely a blockage at the hard line fitting that slides into the PV, so my guess is the PV is blocked there as well. Started raining before I could get it out to know for sure... How reasonable is it to try and clean the ports on the PV or should I run by the JY to pick one up?

Thanks.

I'd just replace it, faster and easier

Just out of curiosity, what's involved in cleaning it? I'd have to remove it either way, clean vs replace, but is it really that complicated and difficult to clean? To replace I'd have to drive to a JY, find one for 4 wheel disc, cut the lines, hope that one is not clogged or damaged in any other way, pay for it et. al.

Not trying to challenge your comment/experience, just looking for more information.

Thanks

I got mine from Morris 4x4 and it's been working like a charm. I have an 89'. The one on the website wasn't a perfect match for the vehicle. Had to do a little more research and found the exact part to be PV8796J.

1b8e3ef1f7b6252d7d797dd2596b7387.jpg

Also this was my old one.

f5f0a7f46cf9c8755f1d80e039ab0d64.jpg

Back